Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The FrankenWashie is dead....

Banned
    Switchcraft 1/4" deep panel jacks is what they are
    Last edited by tonyw; 05-03-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    like these, plenty on fleabay

Boy aren't there just a few? Thanks for the heads up fellas, that's one job done!

Banned
    Use Switchcraft

Quote Originally Posted by tonyw View Post
    Use Switchcraft
    Yeah I'll throw the Switchcraft in the final ressurection, but I'm going to play with the "Low Cost, Variable Quality" fleabay versions to get my soldering and wiring dialled in. I have not actually done any of that since the original FrankenWashie build.
    There's a couple of aspects of this build that are going to be proof of concept for some ideas I want to incorporate into a planned scratch build so I don't want to use good gear if it's going to get stripped out and rehashed time and again.

Just a quick alternative thought... If you must use one of these barril jacks, the Switchcrafts are the only ones to use (once the practice soldering is done, of course). That said, I really try to avoid these, and finally did a mod on my G&L to get rid of its barril jack. The problem is that they are easily damaged by a number of cables out there. If the plug is slightly smaller than standard, you may get spotty contacts. Worse, some cables (e.g. monster cables) have an oversized plug that can damage a barril jack so that in no longer works properly with regular cables. This type of jack also just wears out easier. If nothing else will fit then use the best quality one you can find. But it sort of looks like a strat jack could work, and that would be more durable...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Yeah I'd thought of using that standard Fender style, but I don't know if I want to go that way. Certainly what you say about Barrel jacks is borne out by my experiences with this one. It as a B*stard to fit, a B*astard to wire and definitely fulfilled the brief of being patchy in terms of performance (Though that may have also been a lot to do with 18YO me's soldering skills).

My money is that it was on the jack. I got rid of mine. Not as pretty, but I prefer reliable

The more I think on it, the more the fender style of thing makes sense, it is the FrankenWashie after all.....I wonder if I can get tuning machines with Hex bolt keys???

Banned
    Never had a problem with mine on my ASAT special in 21 years

If it ain't broke don't fix it I had problems with mine though, and it looks like a lot of others have as well, judging by all the threads on the bassesbyleo forum.

After the 2nd one went bad I did this mod:

http://www.bassesbyleo.com/forum/vie....php?f=9&t=242

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast