Thread: Benson Pickups, Fender Squier upgrade

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Benson Pickups, Fender Squier upgrade

When Adam generously offered a set of Benson Custom hand wounds as a trial set for a strat style guitar, I couldn't say "me me me..." quick enough.
    As most of you have probably found, one of the main differences between one of the large guitar company's top lines and also ran guitars are the quality of the components used. Steel vs pot metal, grades of tuners and of course, electronics.

I have a lefty Squier Strat, purchased of ebay for under $100, that is a great feeling guitar, but sounds just a bit blah. I really like it and have wanted to do something like this with it for a while - so hot rod strat it now will be.

lets start with the product in question. These pickups are hand wound in the USA by John Benson, and these are the Benson Custom 63 Strat. I requested an aged white set.

From our own site here are the specs:

Medium scatter wound for that warm tone found in the early Strat(TM) pickups that everyone is looking for.

The pole pieces are staggered right handed AlNiCo 5 magnets in the neck and middle, bridge is AlNiCo 3.

Magnets are slightly hand-bevelled and polished.

These pickups are potted to avoid microphonic sound and improve durability.

Vintage cloth leads require no stripping… just push back and solder.

Nice, here is what arrived:

the presentation, whilst not important is very nice...
    Last edited by stan; 25-02-2016 at 10:45 AM.