Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Griffo's LP1 build

Making progress! Have learnt / reinforced / etc a number of things along the way.

1) Tried masking tape for the binding. Silly Sean. Just means you don't get a good smooth flow of wood to binding and there's bound to be a bit of inadequately sanded wood. Had to go back over and do all that again.
    2) Be ***king careful with those brushes and Goof-off! I'm not sure how well it worked with removing the glue, or if I've just sanded back so far to removed the gouges that the brushes leave in the wood! Its looking better now anyway.
    3) Just keep sanding.

Fret positions measured - they're more precise than I'll ever be with the instrument
    Have made a small piece of offcut veneer on backing to play with stains and sanding
    Pot holes have been enlarged, little bit of sanding around neck inset and HB routing means the air gap problem from before is no longer a thing. Got to experiment with that water / iron / steam trick for fixing small dings. It works

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1251.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	9182Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1253.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	9183
    Goof off + sanding works.

Name:	IMAG1252.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	9184Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1259.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	9185Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1260.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	9186
    First time ever using wood filler. Was s**ting myself. Especially since I'd added some colour to it.

Other learning point - that stuff will go everywhere! Glad it was water based because otherwise I would have potentially ruined the cap.

Name:	IMAG1261.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	9187Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1262.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	9188
    So thats come out ok. Now just time to sand and sand some more.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3