Thread: Take Your Time

Banned

Take Your Time

I had a nice telecaster neck purchased off me by a young guy and his dad, i asked is there anything they want me to do, install the tuners, the nut, fret level? but they said the boy knew what he was doing.

Last week the neck was returned for repair, he had drilled the tuner anchor hole all the way through, then proceeded to try cover it up with bog and the stain from hell, it didnt work, he filled every tuner hole with timbermate filler, and didnt get the hole to covered up.

I have spent over 4 hours on the neck, i asked his dad did he want me to keep going, its going to cost more than a replacement, he just came around and got a new neck, tuners installed, i gave it to him at cost.

I now have a tele neck i am going to have to finish fixing up, i have reamed out all the tuner holes and cleaned out the truss rod slot, that was bogged as well, and i will put it on one of my new project teles i am doing here.

This wreck was caused by the boy not having patience and then losing his cool.

If you stuff something up, put it aside, think about it, find a work around, then when your nice and calm go again, i could have done something about the drill through for a few $$ but not after hes been to town on it.

Anyway gives me something to do, my other 20 projects can wait

Overlord of Music
    Wise words. Mistakes will be made, guaranteed. But, there is always a workaround (I've heard that before somewhere...).
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pablopepper View Post
    Wise words. Mistakes will be made, guaranteed. But, there is always a workaround (I've heard that before somewhere...).

haha yeah i usually lose the plot when people keep telling me they dont need it for 2 weeks but now want it yesterday, i like to work at my own pace.

Overlord of Music
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyw View Post
    people keep telling me they dont need it for 2 weeks but now want it yesterday,
    Oh, I see you work in the sign industry as well...
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pablopepper View Post
    Oh, I see you work in the sign industry as well...
    I was on Melbourne Wharfs for the last 10 years, bringing 1000's cars off car carriers from Japan and Thailand and getting them on to a fleet of trucks for distribution, now thats not knowing whats happening from 1 minute to the next. Get down there for a 1am start, i would work by myself until the trucks rolled in about 5am but the ships loaded wrong, my cars are on the top deck instead of the bottom, start my work at 6am, puts me 5 hours down and a 14hour shift on the cards, then the drivers start having sickies ahhh thank god i am off there.

Banned
    I just ordered some Walnut truss rod plugs, genuine Fender from the U.S.A for this neck, boy this guy has gone to town on it.

I ordered the plugs so i can reverse engineer for future peoples #$$%#@$@ ups, never had to bother before.

Do not squirt paint down your truss rod cavity grrrr what a mess, but i got it mostly done and i can loosen and tighten the truss rod again.

Another 3 hours down the gurgler, cheaper to buy a new neck, but hey!! i dont learn anything doing that

Aaaah, the old paint in the truss rod cavity....
    Guaranteed to only ever do that once

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dingobass View Post
    Aaaah, the old paint in the truss rod cavity....
    Guaranteed to only ever do that once

Kids who know what they are doing are alot of fun to clean up after