Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ES builder's question...

ES builder's question...

For those of you doing ES style builds I have a question about what you are able to get through the F-holes. I am talking specifically about the bodies with a center block such that the pickups mount like on a LP rather than having a big hole. The only way I know to get the electronics in without cutting is through the F hole.

I have an ESB-4 kit. None of my full sized CTS pots will fit down into the body. My Alpha mini-pots will fit. Even the ones with DPDT switches. I am sure I can get pretty much any kind of standard pickup selector switch or or any flavor of mini switch in there...but my standard sized rotary switches are not going to fit...

Are there any other kinds of switches that I am missing? I'd like to know my options before starting to map out a the wiring harness. If I am "stuck" with DPDT and triple-throw mini switches as my only options, so be it! But I'd like to know if anyone has a method of getting a CTS pot or rotary switch down there.

I love the CTS pots for their flexibility. They are the only ones I know where you can change the values without having to re-solder the wiring harness... Not a tragedy if I can't use them or a rotary switch, but thought I'd at least run it past the wisdom of those on the forum.

Curious what folks are using for pickups as well, those of you who've swapped out the ones that come with the ESB-4.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Fender,

the ES is a hollowbody kit so you can also put stuff down through the pickup holes not just the f-holes. Makes it a whole lot easier in general to wire up. CTS pots should be no problem at all through the pickup holes.

cheers,
    Gav.
    --
    Build #01: BC-1
    Build #02: ST-1
    Build #03: JR-1DC
    Build #04: ES-2V
    Build #05: ESB-4 (GOTM July 2014)
    Build #06: RC-1
    Build #07: MK-2
    Build #08: TLA-1
    Build #09: JR-1DC
    Build #0A: LPA-1
    Build #0B: STA-1 (GOTM April 2015)
    Build #0C: MKA-2
    Build #0D: LP-1M
    Build #0E: JB-1
    Build #0F: FS-1

Find me:
    https://www.facebook.com/firescreek.guitars/
    http://www.guitarkitbuilder.blogspot.com.au/

3. Liked by: dingobass

Not on mine. Mine has solid wood under and around the pickup cavity as in the pic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB-4-new-main.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	8535

Damn sorry dude. Misread the kit name.

cheers,
    Gav.
    --
    Build #01: BC-1
    Build #02: ST-1
    Build #03: JR-1DC
    Build #04: ES-2V
    Build #05: ESB-4 (GOTM July 2014)
    Build #06: RC-1
    Build #07: MK-2
    Build #08: TLA-1
    Build #09: JR-1DC
    Build #0A: LPA-1
    Build #0B: STA-1 (GOTM April 2015)
    Build #0C: MKA-2
    Build #0D: LP-1M
    Build #0E: JB-1
    Build #0F: FS-1

Find me:
    https://www.facebook.com/firescreek.guitars/
    http://www.guitarkitbuilder.blogspot.com.au/

Yhep, through the f holes.

Pro tip: Book your therapy sessions before you begin to feed the loom in.... I built one of these two years ago and I still break out in a cold sweat everytime I see a hollow body

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Mini pots and mini switches it is, then. Who needs rotary switches, anyway?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

All the Gibson and PRS solid body guitars have access to the electronics through the back, and all seem to live long and happy lives with a piece of plastic covering the access hole.

I'll one day build an ES-2V and I want to put Bourns push/pulls in it. I highly doubt they'll fit through the 'F' holes, so I figure, why not route a small access hole in the back? About the same size as the hole behind the 3way switch on a Les Paul? And cover it with one of the readily available LP round covers.

I'm wondering if the reason is that the material is too thin on the back? I don't know, I haven't seen one of these kits in the flesh yet.

The Bournes minis should fit through ok.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

I just took a quick measurement. The top is 3/16"...almost 5 mm. Would guess the back is about the same. It's an arch top and back though. To me that seems like it could add a degree of difficulty to routing.

For what it's worth, I could get mini alpha pots with dpdt switches through the hole. Dingobass beat me to it, but I just looked at their website, and it does look like the Bourns minis are the same size.

go the bourns, better pot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast