Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Plainfaced's TL-51 Ash Nocaster build

Plainfaced's TL-51 Ash Nocaster build

*Edit - I can no-longer call it a Nocaster.

Hi all.. Been two years since I posted in the forum... 2 years ago I built my first kit - An IB-7. I didn't document my first build here. While it wasn't a disaster, it could have gone better. I had never owned a floating bridge type guitar before - Building one certainly didnt give me the best first impression.

2 years later - Enter the TL-51 Nocaster.

Purchased the TL-51 Ash kit just last week, and it arrived today. It was pretty heavily discounted, so I just had to jump on it. Ive always loved Tele's and thinking back now, it should have been my first kit.

While I don't have any unboxing photos (will post soon). I did want to list out my build. and get some thoughts from the community.

• TL-51 Kit (umm got it)
    • Wilkinson Compensated bridge - On its way
    • Kluson vintage tuners - On their way (Kit didn't come with these, as was part of the discount)
    • Tonerider Hot Classics set - Wanting to upgrade on install
    • Emerson 3-WAY Telecaster prewired kit - In the hopes of getting better pots/switch and saving on some soldering
    • All other hardware will remain the same
    • Paint - I'm wanting to spray this a solid cream/yellow - recommendations? Not wanting to stain/lacquer

Hoping to continue with this build diary over the next month or two.

See you round.. and keep an eye out for photos.
    Last edited by Plainfaced; 28-10-2017 at 09:55 AM.

Hi Plainfaced, welcome back from your 2 year break !
    Your plans sound great and nice upgrades.
    The ash grain you need to grain fill if you are going to solid paint. Then I would recommend at least 3-4 coats of primer to get a nice flat finish. Then you won't need as many colour coats to get a nice flat finish.
    Presume you will be using rattle cans so it's worth spending a bit more and getting better quality spray cans. Usually auto paint works well. Otherwise I've had good success with British Paints and White Knight. Just make sure the primer, colour paint and clear are all compatible so keeping the same brand is recommended.

Best of luck with the build haven't seen many of these kits built yet.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by Plainfaced View Post
    Hi all.. Been two years since I posted in the forum... 2 years ago I built my first kit - An IB-7. I didn't document my first build here. While it wasn't a disaster, it could have gone better. I had never owned a floating bridge type guitar before - Building one certainly didnt give me the best first impression.

2 years later - Enter the TL-51 Nocaster.

Purchased the TL-51 Ash kit just last week, and it arrived today. It was pretty heavily discounted, so I just had to jump on it. Ive always loved Tele's and thinking back now, it should have been my first kit.

While I don't have any unboxing photos (will post soon). I did want to list out my build. and get some thoughts from the community.

• TL-51 Kit (umm got it)
    • Wilkinson Compensated bridge - On its way
    • Kluson vintage tuners - On their way (Kit didn't come with these, as was part of the discount)
    • Tonerider Hot Classics set - Wanting to upgrade on install
    • Emerson 3-WAY Telecaster prewired kit - In the hopes of getting better pots/switch and saving on some soldering
    • All other hardware will remain the same
    • Paint - I'm wanting to spray this a solid cream/yellow - recommendations? Not wanting to stain/lacquer

Hoping to continue with this build diary over the next month or two.

See you round.. and keep an eye out for photos.
    All I can say re painting is preparation preparation preparation. Sand the whole body until it feels smooth all over then leave it for a day or two, feel the wood again It may have lost moisture so sand and repeat. Once you are happy with the body seal it with suitable primer filler, cans can be used but I hate them. So when dry and use wet and dry sandpaper with a tiny amount of washing up liquid in say a small container with about 500 ml water. It helps with lubrication. Start of with say 240 then 400 finally 600 if you do not use water the sand paper will clog and score . You will have to re apply filling to any imperfections as you go. Then sand and repeat until you are happy. If you can feel any imperfections you WIll see them when you apply the color. Use 2k paint primer 2k paint and 2k clear acryl. Invest a lphv 1 mm gravity fed spray gun and a 50 ltr compressor 5 hp will keep up set the pressure around 2 bar and go from there. Don't forget to get a regulator and fit it at the gun handle. And a water trap at the compressor end.

Sent from my A101 using Tapatalk

I have a Wilkinson compensated bridge on my non PBG Tele and it's a good thing and further to your build am using Hot Classics in my Tuff Dog build.

Hopefully have sounds coming out of it next week so will report on the sound/tone, Hot Classics are "supposed" to be close to Texas Specials

Looking forward to following this build

Thanks for the quick reply.. Great to hear that a good quality rattle can will suffice. Was going to prime and understand that I will have to fill the grain.

I've heard that one can just use watered down Timbermate grain filler?

Also is clear coat necessary? Noting that while I'm not going relic - I don't really want an off the shelf 2017 gloss..

Clear coat will protect your coloured paint that is what it is for plus the showroom finish. You can always use some 2000 grit paper and a bit of cheap car compound to reduce the gloss. To get a real glass finish you have to use maguires. Check my finish when I do some close ups when I post in the next couple of days.

Some sneaky pre-build pics.. Hoping to get started on body prep on the weekend.

Nice Alfie!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

You may need to check that those vintage style tuners line up O.K.
    This requires evenly spaced tuner holes (O.K. my favourite bugbear).
    cheers, Mark.

Ah yes.. Thanks for the tip.. Just tried.
    They look to line 'ok'.. Hoping when I'm ready to fix each of the screws, they hold the tuners either side.

What I did notice is that the 'bushings'?? They just slip in. Really quite loose. I'm wondering if it's worth somehow filling it out with glue or tape.

Only time will tell..

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast