Page 94 of 147 FirstFirst ... 44 84 92 93 94 95 96 104 144 ... LastLast

Thread: DrNomis_44's Gold Standard STA-1M Build.

I have to be honest doc I never use trems. DB will verify my dislike for tremelos or as DB calls them string de tuners lol. I don't envy anyone having to set that floyd rose up. It's strange I love to hear guitarist use trems. But as I palm mute a lot. I tend to block them off or fit hard tail bridges. Have you checked the babicz bridges out. Maybe someone will give you advise on the trems more qualified than me.

If you are going to put a Floyd on a Strat you should go the whole hog and do a copy of Alan Morse's "Mellotron" Strat

This is a fairly recent pic and he's obviously put a new neck on it and it now has a Fernandez sustainer in the neck pickup slot.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

hey Doc page 94 mate, if you put a Floyd tremelo on I reckon you can make it to a century !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

I was thinking about a Schaller trem for the FrankenWashie resurrection, though I think that may be asking for trouble given the already thin body profile (36mm) you can get a 32mm depth block but I'm not sure how much effect this would have on the sound. I am already going to be struggling with pick up depths as it is. we may need to compare notes if you do decide to do the change out Doc.(Who me, padding out Doc's thread?)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I was thinking about a Schaller trem for the FrankenWashie resurrection, though I think that may be asking for trouble given the already thin body profile (36mm) you can get a 32mm depth block but I'm not sure how much effect this would have on the sound. I am already going to be struggling with pick up depths as it is. we may need to compare notes if you do decide to do the change out Doc.(Who me, padding out Doc's thread?)

Personally, I reckon the shorter (32mm) sustain block should not make a whole lot of difference to the tone, the shorter block I got for my Chrome Schaller Lockmeister Floyd Rose Trem was made out of solid Brass which did have some weight to it, the bridge itself still felt pretty weighty after I installed the shorter block, I reckon what would make a difference to the tone is if you were to put a sustain block made from so-called Pot Metal on the bridge, that would definitely take away some of the tone since Pot Metal is considered inferior.

Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    If you are going to put a Floyd on a Strat you should go the whole hog and do a copy of Alan Morse's "Mellotron" Strat

This is a fairly recent pic and he's obviously put a new neck on it and it now has a Fernandez sustainer in the neck pickup slot.

So that basically proves that putting a Floyd on a Strat is definitely do-able, I wonder if he has it fully floating or not?.

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    hey Doc page 94 mate, if you put a Floyd tremelo on I reckon you can make it to a century !

Well, you know what?, I'm seriously thinking of doing it, I haven't had much success with a traditional style nut and trem system, and this Strat is a custom one I'm building for myself, it's not like it's an uber-expensive 1957 fender Strat.

Overlord of Music
    Gotta agree with Kimball, screw the floyd and check out the Babicz if you want an upgrade.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Quote Originally Posted by pablopepper View Post
    Gotta agree with Kimball, screw the floyd and check out the Babicz if you want an upgrade.

The thing is, I already have a Chrome Schaller Floyd which I can install on the Strat, getting a Babicz Bridge as an upgrade is going to cost me some extra money, and it's not really going to fix the Sitar-Buzzing issue because I traced the cause to the nut, I had the Sitar-Buzzing issue with the stock plastic nut, the bone nut I used to replace the stock plastic nut, and also with that White Tusq XL nut I made.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 26-04-2016 at 03:27 PM.

but Doc isn't rest of the hardware gold ?

EDIT Doc what is the current tremelo and does it work ok and keep reasonable tune ?
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 26-04-2016 at 03:29 PM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Page 94 of 147 FirstFirst ... 44 84 92 93 94 95 96 104 144 ... LastLast