Page 101 of 147 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1467

Thread: DrNomis_44's Gold Standard STA-1M Build.

good stuff Doc that's the gold paint I used on my gold tele. I used the white night clear gloss and it did dull the gold flake a little but still looked pretty good.
    A tip buddy is make sure the body is grain filled, at least 2 or 3 coats of primer and sanded flat between each coat of gold. I was lazy not sanding enough between coats and had trouble with a crack in the headstock and ended up using 4 cans at about $22/can. I ended up having to glue a veneer on the headstock to get it flat then painted gold
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 31-08-2016 at 03:49 PM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    good stuff Doc that's the gold paint I used on my gold tele. I used the white night clear gloss and it did dull the gold flake a little but still looked pretty good.

Ah, so it will work then?, cheers mate, I was wondering if there were going to be any incompatibility issues, I'm going to be using that same White Knight Clear gloss too, I'm not too fussed with the clear gloss dulling the finish a bit since the gold colour on the gold Fender Strat is a bit subdued, like a Brassy kind of gold, so are there any special techniques I need to use to get the best result?, or is it pretty straightforward?

I bought some Maple Timbermate to use as a grain-filler on the body of the HotRod Strat, so if I use it on the Gold Strat body I should be sorted, shouldn't I Wokka?
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 31-08-2016 at 03:47 PM.

Hi Doc, read my above post I added some tips. Yes use the White Knight clear gloss was about $15/can from memory.
    Also get some white knight primer and you will need to sand off most of the existing stain and go through the timbermate phase again.
    Just keep us updated as you go and I will guide and advise you the best way to go about the next stage

Completed builds

Hi Doc, from your question above yes the timbermate colour won't matter as you are going solid colour. Definitely worth getting some white Knight primer, think it was white or grey, should be in my gold tele build diary I will find the link and post it

Completed builds

Hi Doc, read my above post I added some tips. Yes use the White Knight clear gloss was about $15/can from memory.
    Also get some white knight primer and you will need to sand off most of the existing stain and go through the timbermate phase again.
    Just keep us updated as you go and I will guide and advise you the best way to go about the next stage

Cheers mate, much appreciated, I want to do a good job with the gold finish this time round so I will listen to your advice, they didn't have any White Knight Primer in stock so I bought a can of Rust-Oleum 2X Ultra Cover Flat Grey Primer instead, will that work as well as the White Knight Primer?, it does say that it is for wood.

Oh, and I bought some On-Guard Snail and Slug Adhesive Copper Tape, which I'll use for shielding, I also bought some masking tape to mask-off the neck pocket as well.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 31-08-2016 at 03:55 PM.

Hi Doc, here's my gold tele diary, sorry it's not that detailed and skips some early stages

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ight=gold+tele

I would be very careful using any other brand of paint so would really recommend you contact the BGSFOS and ask when the White Knight Primer will be in and swap it over and keep your receipt.

I've had too many fails mixing paint brands and types so stick to golden rule (pardon the pun) #1 keep the paint the same brand

Completed builds

Hi Doc, here's my gold tele diary, sorry it's not that detailed and skips some early stages

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ight=gold+tele

I would be very careful using any other brand of paint so would really recommend you contact the BGSFOS and ask when the White Knight Primer will be in and swap it over and keep your receipt.

I've had to many fails mixing paint brands and types so stick to golden rule (pardon the pun) #1 keep the paint the same brand

I can always go back to the BGSFOS tomorrow and see if they have re-stocked that White Knight Primer, in fact that's what I'll do.

Thanks so much for helping me out like that mate, much appreciated.

I just checked out your Gold Tele thread and the colour on the body looks like about the right shade of Gold that I'm aiming for, cheers, I'll have a good read of that thread mate.

I may even finish the body of the 51 Tele like that if the finish on the Strat turns out well.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 31-08-2016 at 04:06 PM.

no worries Doc, think about a gold pickguard Pablo can cut you one. Although white pearloid will still look cool.
    If the WK primer isn't on the shelf ask one of the staff, could be sitting in a box above the shelving or in the storeroom. Try and find staff that know what they are talking about hahah good luck with that

Completed builds

no worries Doc, think about a gold pickguard Pablo can cut you one. Although white pearloid will still look cool.
    If the WK primer isn't on the shelf ask one of the staff, could be sitting in a box above the shelving or in the storeroom. Try and find staff that know what they are talking about hahah good luck with that

Cheers, I might contact Pablo about cutting a Gold pickguard later on, for the time being the white Pearloid one will do, just so I can get the Strat up and running again, will definitely keep that in mind.

For the time-being, I'm in Sanding mode, giving the Strat body a good sanding with a foam sanding block.

good stuff Doc, more sanding ! It is important you get the bulk of the Dingtone sanded off as I'm not sure if it will react with the primer. Best do a small test in an area under the pickguard to see if the primer takes ok

Completed builds

Page 101 of 147 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 ... LastLast