Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: NON PBG - LP Build Diary from DIY Guitars

Banned
    hey Alkay maybe ask DB if he can do you a bone nut, it will save you a ton of grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkay View Post
    Ok,

So I've followed the "Setting up your Intonation" guide as suggested by dingobass, cheers.

First problem:
    I had some bow on the neck but I'm afraid of going any tighter because the tension is starting to get very difficult to move it more.
    Credit card still slides under the ninth fret but only just. I probably can't do much more with this?

Second problem:
    The issue I mentioned above with the difficulty of doing open an open E Maj chord or bar chords near the nut is due to the string heights in the nut slot I believe. It's very difficult to hit the notes, I have to press very very hard. I have no issue on my other electric guitars. In step three of the "Setting up your Intonation" guide Gavin1393 mentions two methods of adjusting the nut.
    I don't have a nut file but have some spare new strings to use as a file or the other method is take the nut off and sand the base of it.

Before I do anything irreversible, I would appreciate some advice on the best method to use?

Cheers,
    Alkay.

That sounds like your 1st-Fret action is set too high, what you could try doing is sanding-down the bottom of the nut till the 1st-Fret action is low enough so that fretting chords is easy enough without the strings buzzing against the 1st-Fret.

Thanks for the advice guys,

I'll try DrNomis_44 advice now once I work out how to get the nut off.

Cheers,
    Alkay.

Hi again,

I did the suggestion by DrNomis_44. It was a slow process because I didn't want to take too much off.

Sanded the bottom of the nut, tune the guitar and check the action with the open chords. Repeat process as needed.

I'm happy with how it sounds now. Easier to do open chords and bar chords. Coming along nicely thank you.

I do have one issue. I have searched this forum for shielding the cavities(which I have done and to the covers also) but I'm getting interference especially when I put on some gain.

Do I also need to ground the shielding tape to one of the pots from the control cavities and covers(three way switch too)?

Cheers,

Alkay.

That's weird.... The pots should automatically ground when in contact with the tape..
    Have you got an overhang around the edge for the control plate to make contact with?
    Other than that it could be any number of things.
    One of our wireing miesters should soon sort you out

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Hi dingobass,

Yes I did overhang on both cavities. You can see in the photo's I posted when I moved this build diary across to PBG.

Also to note, this model required the bridge post to be grounded to one of the pots, so I did that too.

Cheers,

Alkay.

Anyway, I'll leave it for tonight now and check if there are any updates on the wiring soon.

Thanks for the help so far.

Cheers,
    Alkay.

Hi Alkay,

I always ground to the shielding tape too, but as DB says it shouldn't really be necessary. Maybe there is a small short somewhere? An errant solder joint? Personally I have created an output jack with two aligator clips connected to it. This allows me to step through the circuit from the pickups down and try to isolate the place where noise is being introduced.

cheers,
    Gav.
    --
    Build #01: BC-1
    Build #02: ST-1
    Build #03: JR-1DC
    Build #04: ES-2V
    Build #05: ESB-4 (GOTM July 2014)
    Build #06: RC-1
    Build #07: MK-2
    Build #08: TLA-1
    Build #09: JR-1DC
    Build #0A: LPA-1
    Build #0B: STA-1 (GOTM April 2015)
    Build #0C: MKA-2
    Build #0D: LP-1M
    Build #0E: JB-1
    Build #0F: FS-1

Find me:
    https://www.facebook.com/firescreek.guitars/
    http://www.guitarkitbuilder.blogspot.com.au/

Here's something you could try doing, using a suitable length of tinned copper wire solder it to the metal casing of all the pots and then make sure you have the ground wire soldered to one of them, also, make sure the bridge has continuity with the grounding as well, you can check this by using a multimeter set to a low Ohms range, if your pickup selector switch has a metal shield check that there's continuity between that and the pots too.

10. Liked by: dingobass

Wot Gav and Doc sed

I had a Guitar on the bench a few years back, had a weird buzz that had beaten two Guitar teccies..
    Pfaffed around for HOURS trying to track it down.
    In the end, after donning the magnifying gogs and breaking out the air raid search light I found a single strand of wire was flapping around and causing a short...
    Might pay to check for that.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast