Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: NON PBG - LP Build Diary from DIY Guitars

Hello,

Can anyone please help me with the wiring. Is this video a suitable guide: Link has been removed.

Only problem I’m seeing with the video is the capacitors. Anyone like to contribute please?

The diagram that came with the kit is hard to follow. The one on this forum printed in colour is hard to follow. The wiring is different colours than what came with the kit.

I’m totally stuck here and would really appreciate some help. Thank you.

Welcome to the crazy ranch, Alkay.
    I would advise that you sand that veneer off and go for a solid black on this build, it's a pity no one on the other forum suggested to only sand the veneer with 320- 400 grit

With the neck instal, as this is a bolt on neck you should have no dramas getting the neck/ bridge alignment sorted out.
    When you get to this stage, there will be a world of help here on this forum.

One little gem I share with most builders is, don't be precious about the build process!
    Mistakes and gremlins do pop up but my mantra is There is ALWAYS a workaround

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

I was stuck on the wiring here. I followed a LP wiring video from fred yen's website.
    With the wiring above, the capacitors were a different size to the video above by fred yen so I stripped some wires and extended the length of the capacitors on each end. Probably a bad way of doing things but it worked. On his example the capacitors reached the relative pots, but not with this kit so that’s why I improvised.

Oooops!
    Looks like I posted about going black on the top a bit early

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Hello,

Can anyone please help me with the wiring. Is this video a suitable guide: Link has been removed.

Only problem I’m seeing with the video is the capacitors. Anyone like to contribute please?

The diagram that came with the kit is hard to follow. The one on this forum printed in colour is hard to follow. The wiring is different colours than what came with the kit.

I’m totally stuck here and would really appreciate some help. Thank you.Ok,

So it’s working, sort of. I’m not sure if it’s worth posting this because they’re shutting down but anyway here’s the progress:

– 9 coats of TruOil, sides, back, body and headstock.

– Black ink, it worked but I should have sanded to the last point and then stained it and left it. No photos of sides and back here. Not the best. Too much sanding with everything.

– Copper shielding tape the control and three way switch cavity was a lengthy process but it was good. No electric interference noise when plugged in. Definately worth the time. I also grounded the bridge but that was to one of the pots. I didn’t ground the shielding tape to a pot. I also shielded both insides of the control cavities covers with the copper shielding tape.

-Wiring controls and humbuckers. I had no idea, so I followed the video I posted above. It works after stringing the guitar.

– Intonation. I followed this really good guide: Link removed

I did adjust the truss rod by about a quarter of a turn as per the above guide in reference to the string height at the eighth fret for my guitar.

So how does it sound? Ok, but if I do an open E chord for example I have to press very very hard on the fretboard. Any open chord has the same tension problem.

My question is should I be filing down the nut to lower the action on that end to make it more playable or any other suggestions?

Also, the masking tape I used was wrong. It splintered the body when I lifted it off because it was too adhesive. Can anyone recommend something more suitable?

Cheers for everyone’s help so far, it’s appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13ControlCavity.png 
Views:	197 
Size:	807.9 KB 
ID:	8323

Name:	14ThreeWaySwitchCavity.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	342.4 KB 
ID:	8324

Name:	15DiagonalBirdsEyeBody.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	653.8 KB 
ID:	8325

Last current photo's:

Name:	16BirdsEye.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	353.0 KB 
ID:	8326

Name:	17NeckFromBack.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	465.3 KB 
ID:	8327

Ok,
    So now that I have moved the build diary from DIY Guitars to Pit Bull Guitars forum (thank you again Adam) I will continue where I am now currently having trouble. The following question is a new question for this PBG forum and not from any of my previous posts.

I would really appreciate some help on the following issues please?

-I did bend the neck slightly following a guide on the web but I can't show you the link but if you do a search for:
    how to correctly tune LP guitar
    It's first in the search results.

I followed a guide on intonation on the web(above search suggestion) and I stopped the buzzing on the neck but:

-The low E string(widest) is approximately 4.5mm above the fret board on the first fret?

-The low E string is approximately 11mm above the bridge humbucker pickup?

-The action feels too high and it is very very difficult to play any open chord or even bar chords at that end of the neck?

Alrighty then.

This link should sort out the action/ intonation questions http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=2303

As for masking tape, I use the blue stuff but I hear there is a better tape for this job. I think it was Gav T who mentioned it?
    If you are out there Gav, can you confirm or deny this please?
    Last edited by dingobass; 05-02-2016 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks dingobass,

I'm checking out the intonation and action link now so I can sort this tonight.

Gav T has been very helpful. I know there is blue tape but didn't know what brand/type to get at the hardware store. It will be helpful for my next build. Maybe PBG should sell it as a thought.

After I tune I'll post soon...

Cheers,

Alkay.

Ok,

So I've followed the "Setting up your Intonation" guide as suggested by dingobass, cheers.

First problem:
    I had some bow on the neck but I'm afraid of going any tighter because the tension is starting to get very difficult to move it more.
    Credit card still slides under the ninth fret but only just. I probably can't do much more with this?

Second problem:
    The issue I mentioned above with the difficulty of doing open an open E Maj chord or bar chords near the nut is due to the string heights in the nut slot I believe. It's very difficult to hit the notes, I have to press very very hard. I have no issue on my other electric guitars. In step three of the "Setting up your Intonation" guide Gavin1393 mentions two methods of adjusting the nut.
    I don't have a nut file but have some spare new strings to use as a file or the other method is take the nut off and sand the base of it.

Before I do anything irreversible, I would appreciate some advice on the best method to use?

Cheers,
    Alkay.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast