Thread: Pick-up holes.

Pick-up holes.

Hi All
    Had to enlarge the holes for the humbuckers on my ES-1G. Still a tight fit with the metal casing coming in contact with the wood of the guitar.
    I would have thought this casing would need to float on the springs. Do i need to make the holes big enough for this to happen or is it ok for them to be snug and in contact with the wood?
    Thanks
    Bradboy

Hi Bradboy, have had it happen a few times with the screw tabs. is it the square of the case or the tabs? Sometimes the pickups that come with the kit are a bit flared at the base and have had to squeeze and resolder the earth to make them fit.
    Tony

Hi Bradboy, welcome to the forum, I'd get a file and make a tiny gap between the pickup casing and the pickup cavity hole. You will eventually need to set the height of the pickups to be fairly close to the strings so you don't want the pickup to get jammed when you are adjusting the heights.
    Doesn't need much clearance, just as long as you can place the pickup in the hole with no interferance.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Thanks Tony
    It could be the flared casing. I'll have to get some time to have another look but i think I'll just work on making the cavity slightly bigger.
    Bradboy

Thanks Wokkaboy
    I'm gunna go with enlarging the cavity. It made sense but i just wanted to check. My 1st build.
    Bradboy

You are not alone my es-1g is the same, one day I might put down my beer and pick up a file. On mine it just looks like I'll have to make the round corners of the pickup routes more square and they should drop right in.

HAHA Fuzzy, you need one of those hats that hold 2 beer cans and have tubes going to your mouth so you can drink beer and file at the same time !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    HAHA Fuzzy, you need one of those hats that hold 2 beer cans and have tubes going to your mouth so you can drink beer and file at the same time !
    Surprised you haven't got one already Woks so that we can see a photo of you in action demonstrating how to use it.