Thread: Back Bow in Neck & Adjusting the Truss Rod

Back Bow in Neck & Adjusting the Truss Rod

Hello All,

Stating to get at my ES-3 kit. I first wanted to get the Neck perfectly straight and do my frest work before anything else. That being siad the neck currently has a fairly significant back bow in it therfeore i am loosening the truss road 1/4 turn at a time to bring the neck back to straight. It is very very difficult to turn the truss road. Just seems very tight. I wanted to check in with someone who knows what this action should feel like so that i do not mess anything up.

any suggestions?

theres a photo attached to show what i am working with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1569.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	7490  

1/4 turn at a time? I reckon you've stripped your truss rod.....
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Hey,

i doubt it is stripped. doesnt feel like it anyways. if it is then it was stripped when shipped to me. i have barely touched it since getting it.

Not an unusual thing to occour.
    Holding the neck in the playing position, turning the adjusting nut clockwise should loosen the truss then the double action truss rod should start to pull the neck forwards.
    If this isnt happening there may be a burr on the thread that is fouling the doings up or you just have a rather tight truss rod..

Try clamping the neck (at the heel) onto your workbench then gently push the headstock end down whilst turning the adjusting nut.
    By doing this you are taking the pressure off the nut and it may just turn more easily.
    Hope this helps, keep us posted!

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

The reason your truss rod is tight is because it is feeling some pressure between the fretboard and the neck itself.

Here is an article from another reputable site on dealing with your Truss Rod adjustments.

How Far Do I Turn The Truss Rod Nut?

Start by making small adjustments, say 1/8th of a turn. On some instruments this may result in a noticeable change in relief, in others it may not. The amount the rod must be turned will vary according to the type/quality of truss rod and amount of adjustment necessary. Adjusting the truss rod with the instrument tuned to pitch will allow us to gauge our progress and continue re-checking relief before making further adjustments.
    Precautions

The number one reason people won't touch the truss rod is that they are afraid of making a mistake and damaging it. It's a healthy fear actually but once you understand how it functions and get some practice you should be able to make these adjustments yourself.
    Some important things to remember:

• Use the appropriate sized wrench/socket (if in doubt check the manufacturer's website)
    • Start by loosening the rod a little first*
    • Stop if you encounter resistance**
    • Stop if the adjustments you've made do not change anything

Numerous instruments have come to me with striped truss rod nuts, this is avoidable in most situations. Using the wrong sized wrench/socket may permit it to round out the threads and ruin the nut.
    Not all truss rod nuts are replaceable, some are welded to the rod. Be sure to use the correct wrench!
    Common Truss Rod Nut Sizes
    Martin & similar acoustics 5mm allen head
    Gibson & similar acorn style nuts 5/16" socket
    Taylor & similar small nuts 1/4" socket

*If a truss rod is already as tight as it can go, starting an adjustment by tightening the nut first could end in a horrifying pop. If one starts by loosening the nut slightly they can quickly get a feel for how much tension is already on the rod.
    **Starch resistance and creaking sounds can be a sign that the truss rod should not be adjusted further and is more than enough reason to stop and seek help.
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

6. Liked by: Wisdom

hey guys,

thanks for the comments. i followed dingobass comments and the neck is now perfectly level and ready for fret work. when i put the strings on hopefully their tension will add a minimal amount of relief but well find out when i get there!

cheers,

8. Liked by: dingobass

Glad that worked

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....