Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Action Height.

Action Height.

So I was taking a quick look at my bass and I actually realised how high my action is. It goes a little like this...

Fret 1: 0.5-1mm
    Fret 12: 4.5mm
    Fret 20 (last fret): 5.5mm

To be honest, I do tend to naturally grip the neck a little harder than most people do, and with my pick attack being nice and heavy, I do like to get rid of that "clank"-ish sort of sound you get with lower actions.... And if it's really comfortable and not destroying my hands, why change it?

What are your actions like on guitar / bass? Really low or super high like me? On guitar I prefer a lower action

1. That action is waaaay to high, you will do some damage to your hand and wrist.
    2. Loosen that hand, see above.
    3. Using a pick to play Bass?..... Thats a paddlin and another 12 months in the cupboard under the stairs

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Knew you would say something DB :P
    Oddly, I have found that lowering my action makes it uncomfortable, in fact my hand once completely locked up with a too low of an action.... I'm still experimenting with my setup to fully dial in my ideal setup, after all no two setups are the same!

Hi guys

My measurements are (buhahahaa...) :

0,3mm at 1:st fret
    2,5mm at 12:th fret

Don't measure anything else cause if the frets don't buzz - it's pretty ok to play.

4,5mm... that's alot. Too much for me - could not play after 3:rd or 4:th fret with that height. The E and A bass strings need some room of course but I wish I could take the string down to about 2mm on the 12:th but then I would probably have to change the 105-50 set to 95-45 - or would it make any difference? DB?

Overlord of Music
    4.5mm?! That is going to mess your hand up like DB said, it will lead to tendonitis or RSI. If a low action hurts your hand, it sounds like you might be holding the bass at an unusual angle. Try adjusting your strap so the bass sits higher and then shim and get that action down, then work on loosening the death grip on the neck.

Personally, I find 2.5mm at the 12th a touch high even. A lower action should mean easier playing if anything.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

@ Arzi. That depends on your playing style. If you are a light touch finger player you should be able to lower it a tad more.
    When I set up for my customers, I get them to play their normal style and tweak the action until it is as low as it can go without the dreaded fret buzz.
    On fretless, I actually like a slight amount of finger board buzz, it gives the Bass a nice warm sound.
    Not easy to get right and requires the occasional tweak to maintain the vibe

@Pestybitz. Wot Pabs sed!
    Get that Bass up a bit, whilst it looks cool to have it slung low it will lead to dramas later in life.
    Also raise the neck angle so the headstock sits just above your elbow height or thereabouts...
    AND STOP STRANGLING THAT NECK
    You will never get fast if you are Gorilla gripping the neck!

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

My bass is slung really low atm, but that's mainly because the adjustment clip broke last night :P

Well

I'm trying to find a compromise so that I can use a pick once in a while. The 2,5 seems to work for both - although I mainly play fingerstyle.

Mentor
    Just saw this thread, Pest. Man, that action is pretty intense, I doubt I could do a four hour gig with it. And like DB says... a pick? Thy fingers are the way of truth.

Hi Pest, plenty of comments on this already. That action is so high that a truck could drive under it. Definitely would not be user friendly past around 7th fret in my opinion, and if playing higher up suspect you may get some intonation issues too.
    Low action is both faster and more comfortable to play. I remember when I was a young fella I was always trying to squeeze down on the strings too hard and it is only as you get older that less downward string pressure makes way more sense. How are your frets holding out? Do they look chewed up from all the strangulation?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast