Thread: Hey. I am poppin my cherry.

Thumbs Up Hey. I am poppin my cherry.

So here I go. I just got my first Kit. It's one I bet alot of people start off with. The TL-1. I think it's ash. I will tell you one thing for certain. I bet I got the best kit off the line. I mean there is absolutely no, nodda, zilch in the way of marks or dings on this body that should not be there. The neck fits like a glove with zero movement. The frets have no sprout and from what I can tell since I ordered the straight edge and the fret rocker the frets are perfectly level and the neck is perfectly straight
    I am looking forward to getting started on this. I am a little hesitant because this is numero uno and since it is so well crafted I do not want to be the one to screw it up. Where should I start? I mean what should be the very first thing after the unboxing?[/I][/I] I am committing this initial build to video from the unboxing onward. I bet alot of us do that too!
    My intent is to use a Black stain on the perimeter, gradually getting lighter as it moves toward the center. Picture a sunburst in black. Then I will use a technique I saw on You Tube where droplets of water are sprayed on the body and a very very light coat of black spray paint is applied over the drops. Then they are allowed to dry and the outcome is a paintjob that looks perpetually wet. At that point I will add 6 or 7 coats of polyurethane or some such hard ass final coat. It will be extremely shiny after the final coat is applied and then I will use the dingotone guitar wax and really shine her up! I hope it comes out as I envision it. I am determined to take my time and do it properly, so I see no reason for it not to be spectacular!
    I am serious though. What should be my very first step? Anybody?.[/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
    Frankie dat knew inonit

Mock up build, dry fit everything to make sure nothing needs drilling or any timber work.

When you are happy then you can start sanding prior to applying your finish.
    Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    Mock up
    As it comes with a cheap set of strings, my approach is to build it up to decent playing condition.
    Only then do I start to think about finishing.

cheers, Mark.

Thanks for the tips Mark and King Casey. That's exactly what I did. I mocked it up. I noticed that the bridge pickup cavity was about 1/2 inch or less from where it should ideally be placed. No big deal. I will just use my router to open it up a small bit. I know, Small steps..I will be so very careful! I also noted that the pick guard needs a bit of work where it meets the control assembly. The guard overlaps about an 1/8 inch. So it is Dremel to the rescue.
    I said in my first post that the frets appeared to be level and so on. After closer inspection during mock up it is clear that they are not exactly level and the edges will indeed need some dressing. All will be done with loving patience, have no fear. So I will begin my first task and open up that cavity some and then straight to the pick guard. Then the frets! Will be capturing all on video. So see ya later alligator. I will be back!!!