Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: ESB-4SC First Build

The esb-4sc is a 34" scale...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	296.2 KB 
ID:	5425  
    Last edited by Gavin1393; 22-09-2015 at 07:12 AM.

Thank you Moose and Gavin for the advice. I will get my ruler out tonight and start measuring. The links and the table are very helpful indeed.

Regarding the sanding I am a little bit worried that sanding inside the body might widen the gap. Is that possible?

What you're trying to do is square up those crooked edges, you won't remove any more material where the gap is greatest, but you will get that larger gap consistently across the edge. You then have to live with it or fill it, I would fill it. If you want a natural/transparent finish, you should collect the dust from your sanding of the top, keep it in a zip loc bag. Use it to make a thick paste with some wood glue (the kind that dries clear), and fill the gap. Very surgical sanding will make the gap vanish. Do this after you've stained the surrounding wood, and match the gap filler with very fine artist's brush.

Nothing with wood is impossible...it just takes enormous patience at times.
    Last edited by Island_Moose; 23-09-2015 at 06:47 AM.
    Island_Moose
    aka John

Completed Builds:

FS-1G "Starcaster" Tribute - G.O.T.M October 2015

Current Build:

TL-1 "Indian Chief"

Thank you so much Moose. I really appreciate it. i had starting thinking about collecting the dust and re-use as I leaning towards a slightly more transparent finish than originally planned.

very valuable advice. Thank you

So the fret measurement seemed to be good. Thank you Gavin and Moose. I think that the inlays were simply playing a trick on me. I have been pondering the neck issue for a while and decided to live with for a while to see what my best options are and move on with the build.

Today I started by sanding the body through the grit 189, 240, 320 and 400 (back, front and side). Then spent a little bit of time getting acquainted with my masking tape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150927_151605.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	230.2 KB 
ID:	5554

I decided to go with Keda dyes as opposed to BMW wudtones. Arzi had great results on his RC. Delivery was super quick and instructions were fairly straight forward.

Back first just in case:

Name:	20150927_163256.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	276.9 KB 
ID:	5555

then Front:

Name:	20150927_171046.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	299.8 KB 
ID:	5556

the pictures show it much darker than the first coat was... More of a dark grey tone really which is not really what I was after.

I will sand it down with 320 before the second coat and I might review my stain strength a little bit. I also did the neck which again came out more grey than black:

Name:	20150927_214007.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	5557

Excited times ahead. Loving building this so far. Both exhilarating and absolutely petrifying...

Hi Dekka

When the stain is wet - that is the color you will achiieve after clear finish. When it's dry dark gray it will be at best. Wipe it with a damp cloth and you will take sneak peek of how it will look when finished.

Thank you Arzi. I think that I will probably increase the dye volume. Compared to what you mentioned I think I might have been a little too light.

We will see. Maybe a light sanding tonight and try an increased stain.

A bit more progress. 3 coats on the front and back and 2 on the sides.

I think I finally reached the right tone I was after. A slightly richer black as opposed to the original greyish black of the original coat.

I need to put another coat on the side and leave a couple of days. I love how the stain has made the grain of the neck really pop.

Quick question, should I sand before applying the clear coats or simply use 0000 wool?

And some pictures for you.

Name:	3rd coat.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	875.3 KB 
ID:	5662 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3rd coat_2.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	869.0 KB 
ID:	5663

I also got my hands on a lovely custom truss rod and could not resist.

Name:	truss rod.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	803.1 KB 
ID:	5664

I think I need to order my clear coat now...

Looking great Dekka!

I used TO on mine so can't say much about clear coat. If I remember correctly I just gave mine a light wiping with a clean and dry cloth. There was so little hair rising from the surface that I then went for the oil. With my current MMB-4 build I also didn't sand at all. Just a light wipe with a damp (not wet) cloth which also removed some of the blotches from the back side.

With steel wool I'd be afraid I'd leave some of it on the wood and with sanding one should be very careful not to take away the color cause it doesn't go deep in the wood.

Someone else might have a better opinion on this. After all I'm still learning the ropes myself.

Hi Arzi,

Thank you! I am getting there and really enjoying it. Thank you for the recommendations. Have you gone any higher than 400 grit on the stain at all?

I have actually just ordered some true oil (for the Aussies, I know, I know, i will make my way to the naughty corner!!!)

Any recommendations are welcome regarding application of TO.

What wax brand did you use after the paint renovator?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast