Building my own bass has been a real passion of mine for a long time. I was never able to find what I really wanted and one day I met Pitbull Guitar on the net. Bingo!!! Semi-hollow and hollow body basses. Check! Like-minded, fiendly people with the same passion. Check!

After months of lurking in the shadows of the forum, reading through countless build diaries, detailed tutorial and feeling truly inspired by the talent, determination and pure skills of the people around. I have taken the plunge.

It did help that my last visit on the site coincided with the anniversary sale. Presto! One ESB-4SC ordered on Sunday morning. Quick email chat with Adam to correct my double order (let's not get carried away!!!)

The kit is on its way and boy I can't wait.

My idea is to emulate the look of a Gretsch G5440 Long Scale. I am definitely tempted by the glossy black look with chrome trimmings and I want to put one of my custom illustration at the back (based on an old pearl jam sticker). Like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gretsch Custom 2.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	4984

Now I have two options either glossy finish like Jeff did on his GR-1SF. It was truly an amazing job. Or I can make the most of the fact that I can get my hands on Wudtone's Black Magic Woman kit (I am based in the UK).

For the staining regular, what are the pros and cons? I understand that with Wudtone I might not get a finish as glossy as I might be after but again if the top looks good.

I am also trying to source some pick-ups and a tail piece but that might be for later.

Does anybody know whether the F holes have bindings on this model. It looks like the guitars do but I can't tell on the bass.

Now I think I read somewhere on this forum that the best plan is worth nothing until you see your kit and I truly believe that. I might end up doing a black and red burst!!!

Anyway sorry for the long post. As soon as I get the kit I will start posting pictures and asking millions of questions.

Cheers

Romain