Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: ESB-4SC First Build

First coat of TO went on the side back and neck today. It did suck it up very quickly. Will wait a few hours and do another coat I think, then patience...

Arzi is there a wax you recommend I could easily get my hands on in the UK?

Hi

I don't know what products you have over there but I've used Auto Glym's products myself. "paint renovator" to polish the TO after final wet sanding - this I found to be inexpensive compared to one auto product I tried that was supposed to be "very fine compound" and AG gave much better results. "suoer resin polish" for final cleaning and polish. Best auto products too by the way - quick and easy to apply and polish and the "resin polish" is also great for removing tough things like asphalt residue etc. The gunsmiths recommended Birchwood casey's wax to put on the TO - should be great cause it's designed for it. I just use what I have in my house if possible.

This build is looking fantastic. I have been throwing the same model together myself. I am quite envious of the black!

Thank you Kemosabe for the comment. The black took a few tries of mixing the dye together to get the richness I was after. I have put down 4 coats of TO now and it's really starting to look lovely. Although it is screaming at me "please sand me!!!!" I will do another coat on the neck and probably do a first sand on it but the body will get at least another 5 coat before getting anywhere near sand paper.

I will post pictures a little later on.

Thanks Arzi for the recommendation on the polishing product I think I will follow them.

Hi Dekka

Yep. 10 coats at least before sanding. Took my neck for wet sanding and soap water today and went through the coats on the headstock with 2000 grit and a block. So... yep - ten at least... Headstock wasn't as level as I thought it would be. More coats and it will be okay though.

When using the polishing compound don't put too much pressure on it as the TO is thin and even thinner after sanding. 20 coats and you should be fine before final sanding.

Hi Arzi,

Did you do ten coats on the neck as well before sanding? After 4 it's already showing a nice gloss. I was thinking 5 coast then sand at 1200 and do another 5 coats after taht for the final TO sand on the neck.

Does that sound right for the neck?

I did ten before first sanding and still went through. I did however sand with water and not TO. Should have done TO - was too impatient and this happened. Should have just mildly level it and not try to achieve totally flat surface. Or maybe I was too rough with pressure. Whatever... now it's five more and then just the polishing compound as it's abrasive as well.

Frustrated and pissed off at myself for cutting corners right now...

The gloss just comes out more with more coats. Every sanding takes out some of it cause it removes the clear. After sanding you have to put 3-5 coats for it to come back. Now that I think of it - I might have put so heavy coats of TO on the RC-4 that the coat might have been about twice as thick as this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Arzi View Post
    Frustrated and pissed off at myself for cutting corners right now...
    Which is why whenever I feel I am rushing things with my build. I stop. Put everything down and return much later. Thats a rule that has saved me a lot of heartache...learned the hard way of course!
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Hi Gav

Even at the age of 39 I still find myself battling with these same mistakes - only the circumstances change. Have learned the hard way and some the right way. Sometimes it's worth it to go head first at things but usually it ends up in a headache. Next time I'll be wiser... maybe...

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast