Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Windows 10

Just done the upgrade to WIN 10 Pro from WIN 8.1 Pro and it went pretty much as claimed, I had to reset the audio output default for the speakers and reload my printer drivers but that's it.

It appears to startup quicker than 8.1 and the annoying intermittent jerky mouse appears to be resolved as well.

Over the weekend I plan to have a bit of a play around with Reaper so we'll see if the ASIO drivers are still in place but once again no biggie to sort if they aren't.

It too about 6 hours to back up the important stuff on the C drive ( which hasn't bee required because nothing was lost ) and about 1 hour for the upgrade.

All in all a happy camper so far.

Remember: WIN 10 does report keystrokes, browsing preferences, location services, voice recognition & facial recognition back to MS so make sure you turn these off in preferences

I'm on Win 10 too Dave, very nice OS, I think of it as 8.1 for desktops! Upgrading on my SSD, piece of cake, about 45 minutes to upgrade (I used the HDD for Win 10 to make sure it was all good first before going to the SSD) and everything so far seems to work nicely!

Oh and a pair of really nice programs that make everything so much easier... Get something called PatchMyPC, it is a free program that when you run it, updates as many applications as possible automatically and allows you to install some other bits of software that are also free. One of these is called Driver Booster which is similar to PMPC but for your drivers. Get them both and run them at the same time overnight guys, really does help with keeping things up to date!

3. Liked by: dave.king1

Same here and liking it so far. The only problem I had was, as I also use my Line6 XU2 POD as my main sound output for all my sounds but lost all windows sounds like media players and internet stuff like Youtube and so on, with the UX2.

The fix was I had to set the sound setting to 16bit 48000Hz. Now it works like a charm and all my Program's still work. Just a heads up as its the only way to get the Line 6 UX2 working with win 10 sounds.

I'm running Windows 10 Home on my new Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop which I recently bought, the initial upgrade from Windows 8.1 Home 64Bit to Windows 10 Home 64Bit seemed to go okay, but I started getting system-freezing so I tried doing a clean install after backing up my wanted data onto a 2Tb Seagate External Hard Drive, I had to download the special installation media tool that Microsoft made available, after creating a Windows 10 installer DVD and doing a clean install, I found that I needed to download some driver software, for some strange reason it didn't go too well so I decided to do another clean install, I ended up doing two clean installs before I finally got everything working properly, I think what mucked things up for me was me not letting Windows update download the needed drivers rather than downloading them from the Dell website, the driver from the Dell website that caused the most trouble was for the integrated NVidia graphics, for some reason it wouldn't work properly....still scratching my head about that, funny that cause the other Dell drivers worked fine, anyway, my Laptop has been running Windows 10 Home happily since last week, and I'm happy with it so far, all my music-making software seems to run fine, I did run into some issues with Cubase LE 7 And Cubase Elements 8 so I decided to un-install them and just use Reaper till Steinberg fix the issues, FL Studio runs good, Reason 5 runs great, Reaper also runs great, Ableton Live runs well too.

Haven't experienced any issues with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface or the driver software so far.

I found that I had to delete the windows.old folder off my Laptop's hard drive, since it was taking up about 500Gb of disk space, after I did the last clean install.

One thing I have noticed about Windows 10 is that it's a lot zippier (faster) than Windows 8.1 was, especially when booting-up, I'm really liking the new start menu and I think Microsoft have gotten things right in Windows 10, been seriously thinking about buying a copy of the retail version when it's released.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 08-08-2015 at 07:11 PM.

Yeah running windows 10 so far upgrade went super smoothly . I like it seems to have given audio apps a boost . I'm using it on my Mac and windows PC too .Dr Nomis my buddy did same as you bypassed the download latest drivers and had similar issues. A test on pro tools experts website say that Pro Tools Runs so much better in windows 10 environment.

I use UAD FireWire plugins and they still verify it for use on windows 7.1 that's software 6 and a bit years old . It's absolutely Ludicrous Apple sneeze and they do new software updates.

Dissapointed couldn't get Cortana to work

Quote Originally Posted by kimball492 View Post
    Yeah running windows 10 so far upgrade went super smoothly . I like it seems to have given audio apps a boost . I'm using it on my Mac and windows PC too .Dr Nomis my buddy did same as you bypassed the download latest drivers and had similar issues. A test on pro tools experts website say that Pro Tools Runs so much better in windows 10 environment.

I use UAD FireWire plugins and they still verify it for use on windows 7.1 that's software 6 and a bit years old . It's absolutely Ludicrous Apple sneeze and they do new software updates.

Dissapointed couldn't get Cortana to work

I'm guessing that Microsoft probably did a lot of optimizing of a lot of the background processes in Windows 10, Cortana isn't working on my Laptop at the moment, since I live in Australia, it'll probably be a while till Australian Windows 10 users get a working version of Cortana, for the time being it's not really an issue for me.

Before going down this road I listened to the comentary by some serious corporate admins over on TDPRI and their advice was to make sure all drivers were update via manufacturer website, backup everything and then and only then do the OS upgrade.

No issues apart from reorganising my audio path and reinstalling the printer drivers, all appears to be a bit faster snd smoother thsn 8.1 on an i5 processor with truck loads of ram

Yeah I'm loving Windows 10 so far no problems
    Samsung have built new 16 TB SSD Drives $5000 To 7000.00 lol
    Last edited by kimball492; 14-08-2015 at 07:35 AM.

I've not had it happen to me as of yet , as I don't have FAT 32 formatted SSD or Harddrives.But supposedly Windows 10 corrupts Audio files on harddrives formatted with FAT 32 .
    http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...ormatted-media

Seems I spoke a bit too soon, just had to do another clean install of Windows 10, here's why...it started off with the Windows 10 start menu not launching properly when I clicked on the start menu icon on the taskbar, I got the little coloured ring and then...nothing, I found that the notifications icon next to the speaker icon behaved the same way too, I then tried going online and looking for a fix for it, I tried the fix and it seemed to work, then a few days later the same thing happened, I tried the fix again but got a few error messages, and what's more, clicking on the speaker icon wouldn't launch the volume control, then I noticed that I had no working internet browser (neither Edge, nor Internet Explorer would work properly even though I had internet credit), I couldn't even find Windows Update in control panel, so I ended up having no choice but to do a complete clean install just to get Windows 10 working properly again.....hmmmmmm....
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 18-08-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast