Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: July 2015 Guitar of the Month

July 2015 Guitar of the Month

Enter your finished guitar here to be judged for Pit Bull Guitars July 2015 Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

• One guitar per member per month
    • It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable)

We need 4 photos:

• full guitar shot from the front;
    • close up of the body finish;
    • shot of the back of the guitar; and
    • close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread.

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible.

Competition for July closes 30 June 2015.

Winner will be judged by the Pit Bull Guitars Judging Panel, including the winner of the June GOTM.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Sonoro Junior Supreme

Here is my entry in the months competition, my Sonoro Junior Supreme.
    It is the JR-1DC with a few mods. They are Gotoh locking tuners, Bare Knuckles "Supermassive" P90 PUP, Graphtech Resomax Wraparound bridge and a custom "Cocked Wah" wiring harness with Mojo Dijon caps (22uf &47uf), switchable by a push/pull volume pot. Stained with Wudtone Carmine Gypsy on the back and a combination of Carmine Gypsy and Hot Auburn on the front. Finished with 6 coats of Tru-Oil on the neck, and a combination of Tru-Oil and Feast Watson Wipe-On Poly on the Body (about 10 coats I think).

I will post a link to a facebook video of my son Patrick playing along with "If You Want Blood" by AC/DC. Enjoy!

more to come...

Glossy as. I've never managed to get a proper gloss.

more Sonoro photos...

edit: I almost forgot the full frontal shot

and the video, I tried to embed but couldn't so heres the link:

https://www.facebook.com/duddings/vi...1/?pnref=story

Simon
    (*@Adam, My username was meant to be RembrandtPussyhorse, the name I use when making weird electronic music but the forum cut off the last two letter which gives it a completely different spin!)
    Last edited by Dajavoodoo; 04-06-2015 at 02:13 PM.

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Great start to July GOTM. I love these LP Jnr kits and you've produced an excellent axe from one. Love the demo. Sounds awesome
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Nice job Simon, looks (and sounds) fantastic!

Here is my entry to the guitar of the month.It is the iceman kit.The upgrades include Gotoh locking tuners,An Earvana nut (not sure it was worth the $40,and Kent Armstrong pickups.As with all my guitars I replace the bridge with a roller unit.The tone pots are pots which I've modified into No-load Pots usinf youtube videos.The last Tru-oil I bought came as a set wth some walnut stain and Conditioner so I used the stain and the Tru-oil on the neck.With the white body it reminds me of a marzipan wedding cake.
    The body I decided to do a variation of the cracked mirror Paul Stanley Iceman.As I cut intricate glass shapes every day it was no problem cutting the mirror.I drew the guitar top to scale,worked out the design,allowing islands of timber where the pickup ring screws go and around the bridge post holes.I photo copied the desigh and cut out the paper templates of the mirror pieces.I chiselled out recesses for all the mirror and got the guys who spray polyurethne kitchen doors to spray the body white.I then inlaid all the mirror,and used No-more gaps to fill inbetween the glass pieces.All the glass has been edge ground so despite the faux blood,you can't cut yourself.I love Dexter and his blood splatter posters.Also it is 5 years since I slashed by artery in my wrist so using Dexter's posters and my memory,I mixed some Clear Red and Rust Brown Tamiya paint to make the faux-blood which I splattered judiciously over the guitar.Abalone topped chrome knobs finished the build.
    The electrics were a nightmare on this guitar .When I tested it the Tone knobs were not working,the volumes only worked from about 85% on.I pulled every thing apart and wired each pickup to an output jack and tones seperately.They worked fine,but when I hooked everything back up to the switch,the same problem as before.I knew the switch was to blame.I used wire-braided vintage cable on the switch to jack.As I always use conductive paint to shield all cavities,it seems that somewhere the braid was causing a short.After I changed the braid out for regular insulated cable everything worked out fine.
    Last edited by adam; 08-06-2015 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Adding photos

Well, this I have to see. If you're registered and logged in yiu should see an image icon, which allows you to upload pics. If you can't work it out email me the 4 photos and I will post them. Adam at pitbullguitars dot com.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

Adam

9. Liked by: mendosus

Photos received from TomL, his Dexter inspired IC-1:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thomas IC-1 1.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	3463

Name:	Thomas IC-1 2.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	3464

Name:	Thomas IC-1 3.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	3465

Name:	Thomas IC-1 4.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	3466
    Cheers,

Adam

Wow Tom that looks really cool and very original mods there.
    How does it sound and play ?
    One of the judges DB really loves Icemans (haha not) but if I was scoring it would get high marks for detail and difficulty of the glass inlays !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast