Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adhesive sandpaper for fret levelling

Adhesive sandpaper for fret levelling

So 2 years after getting my kit i still havent done a fret dress cos im the slackest ever.

ive got a radiused sanding block, but apparently adhesive sandpaper is hard to get in aus. anyone got any hot tips for finding some, or alternatively any sneaky luthiers trade secrets for sticking normal sandpaper to the block in a manner that will hold it there well enough to level the frets, yet will still come off nice and easy at the end?

thanks!

Overlord of Music
    http://emjayproducts.com.au/double-s...4mm-x-25m.html
    High tack side on the paper, low tack side on the block.

Or, just wrap it around the block.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Hello Ben, on my radius block I use double sided tape to adhere the paper to the block. Seems to work ok. Maybe also spray on adhesive but never tried this?
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

I just wrapped it gently around a radiused block to do a fretboard, and that turned out fine. No glue and no tape. See my harmony thread in the link below

Www.thesandpaperman.com.au

This guy has it all and is very reasonably priced

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

How about some blue masking tape on the sanding block and super glue the paper to that, job done peel the tape off and throw in the bin.

Someone on here linked a YouTube clip of this a month or so ago, from memory they were UK luthiers

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    How about some blue masking tape on the sanding block and super glue the paper to that, job done peel the tape off and throw in the bin.

Someone on here linked a YouTube clip of this a month or so ago, from memory they were UK luthiers
    I think depending on the superglue that you could have some leakage. I wouldn't want to be trying to get it off afterwards.

I second DB's referral, I used some of their papers on my Strat and they are spectacular!

i never ordered these yet cos im super slack, which grits and type should i be gettig from the sandpaper man?

for anyone vaguely interested i finally got all the stuff which i needed together and did a fret level and reshaping. its not the best job ever, but was only my first go, and it drastically improved the playability of the guitar so im happy. my fret shaping file was a cheap ebay jobby and it was shite, gonna get a proper one next time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast