Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixing a dirty finish

Quote Originally Posted by dingobass View Post
    I love yankin ya chain, Bargie
    I know you do:-)

I had our fearless leader, Adam's 1970's Tele here for a pickup transplant and general service...
    That Guitar has tone!
    I played a friend's Tele from the 70's last year and I have to agree with you DB, it really hits most other guitars these days out of the park! If only every production guitar was like this, then we would all be so much happier....

Yep, tone is killed by distortion...
    What about my setup, with lower gain on the pedalz and more gain out of my hands? To my ears it sounds a lot better than having the gain cranked up!

So apart from dt, what are some other suitable top coats that add protection to a guitar without sacrificing on tone?

Quote Originally Posted by bargeloobs View Post
    Don't tell Gary Moore, Mark Knopfler or Clapton that...
    Aaaah yes, but they use it in a minimalistic way, so you can still hear the clean sound as well..
    I am sure that accomplished axe men such as yourself also use fuzz sparingly.
    I was referring to the metal heads that push everything to max.. Those guys may as well play a stick with fence wire strings...

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Being a massive Muse fan I use fuzz, but not over the top (I mainly use fuzz for bass )

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    So apart from dt, what are some other suitable top coats that add protection to a guitar without sacrificing on tone?
    I guess the answer to that question is (life sentence in naughty room coming up) Nitro. BUT it must be applied thinly.
    Also some of the new generation 2pacs have been producing some half decent results, but again, the best ones are about half a micron thick when finished..
    Our good friend Perry Ormsby uses a finish that cures in six minutes under UV lights, he then cuts it right back to less than one micron.
    The biggest thing is this stuff is LETHAL, he has had a bad experience from a very short exposure to this finish.. He said he was feeling like he wanted to die for about 8 hours!

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Yeah 2k is nasty and I will never use the gear again. And I hear Nitro is just as bad for you. There has to be something else.

You're right, just because you can turn an amps gain up to 10. it doesn't mean you need to, or should. Dimebag Darrell (R.I.P) springs to mind instantly, it just sounded like someone strumming white noise.
    On the other hand, take Gary Moore's Parisienne Walkways, OMG the world would be a lesser place without distortion in that case and he's driving that amp fairly hard, that's almost like the epitomy of "tone" in my opinion.
    I agree, a little goes a long way, but to say "when players use the fuzz pedal tone is not even in the equation"...nope, you should retract that immediately;-)

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Greg Koch (Fender Roadshow) made a comment in regards to all the 'F' custom shop guitars he tests. He suggested he had a general dislike for reliced guitars, however as they have less finish (nitro) on them their tone was far superior to a 'standard' finished axe.

I recently rebuilt a mim tele that was covered in that awful poly finish. Sounded like a dead squid. I refinished in Wudtone and about 3 layers of top coat - it now sounds totally awesome (with no fuzz effect !)
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast