Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Extramural Activities, Hidden Talents and Hobbies...

Quote Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
    Nice! Is she playing with a brass band or maybe an orchestra?
    Both!! When time allows; she's a peripatetic sonographer and charges around the world working as a locum so joins a brass band/orchestra wherever she fetches up! She has a mint Ibanez (Soundgear?) fretless bass and small SWR bass amp... which I assume now sit under a cloth at her house in Auckland...

Every brass player I ever worked with showed me how to get the thing going but for the life of me, I could only get the dying cow bellow from brass gear, eh! Same with drums; every drummer I worked with also showed me the basics but my brain couldn't cope with four limbs doing different things...
    Last edited by corsair; 16-09-2017 at 10:20 AM.
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

2. Liked by: wazkelly

It's the same with any instrument I guess.
    The trom has always been there, the guitar a little later in life.
    I can play scales on normal valve operated brass instruments, but it would take some time to be able to actually get a tune out of one. But, someone who has already learnt how to play a valve instrument, can play any of them, as the valve combinations don't change. The same can't be said for someone used to a valve instrument, when they pick up a trombone! It is a pretty unique experience.
    A trombone has the same number of positions on the slide, as there are possible combinations from a three valve brass instrument, which is 7. Some of the larger instruments include a 4th valve, which does the exact same thing as a trigger on the Trombone. I've been playing a single trigger trombone for 27yrs(Not consistently), so it's second nature to me. I now have another trigger to try and figure out, so it's a whole new ball game!
    Acoustics:
    1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
    2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup

Electrics:
    Pitbull LP-1S - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5745
    Carsen Superstrat Rebuild - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6284

Builds in Progress:
    Silent Guitar Semi-Scratch Build - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6809

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Very nice. I presume the new trombone is a bit less bright sounding than the silver one?
    I looked into the specs of the new trom,as I have learned that there is not really a "Standard" model offered by S.E.Shires.
    Here are the different parts broken down.

Valve System - Independent Axial Flow Valves
    Bell - B117GM - Wide Taper, for a broad sound, Soldered Bead, Gold Brass combining many of the characteristics of yellow and red brass for a very balanced and flexible sound, Medium Weight, 9.5" Bell.
    Slide - B62 - .562-inch bore bass handslide. No other markings which indicates it's a standard weight slide, with yellow-brass tubes, nickel-silver sleeves, and a nickel-silver crook.
    Tuning Slide - B - Bass Trombone - No other markings, so it's safe to assume it's standard.
    Lead Pipe - The one fitted at the moment is marked with 3L - .547-inch bore, compatible with large-shank mouthpiece, largest venturi diameter—large for a broad sound, long length for a more centered sound and feel, 9.75 inches long.

Included in the case is only one other lead pipe which simply has the number 2 on it, meaning it has a medium venturi diameter for an open sound, generally the most popular size.

I'm not sure where the other lead pipe has gone, will have to check with the guy who had it previously.
    Acoustics:
    1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
    2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup

Electrics:
    Pitbull LP-1S - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5745
    Carsen Superstrat Rebuild - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6284

Builds in Progress:
    Silent Guitar Semi-Scratch Build - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6809

I bought a Chev!

I've been looking for some american muscle for a while now and this one landed in my lap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chevIG.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	726.6 KB 
ID:	22806  

Noice, Mick!

What's the specs under the bonnet?

We should start the GECC (Guitar Enthusiast's Car Club). I've already posted pics of my Sierra, but I also landed this classic at the start of the year.

1st build - Blue ES-12G ->-Build Diary-<-

2nd build - Father/Son collaboration MB-1 ->-Build Diary-<-

3rd build - GR-SF1 ->-Build Diary-<-

4th build - FS-1 ->-Build Diary-<-

Yeah! i bet some of the guys on here have some beauties.

Shes and all original (besides the 30 year old respray and wheels) just got the little 350 small block under the hood, 3 speed auto column shift. Totally rust free California car (still has the Cali plats on it with the NSW ones over the top) original interior and carpet, all the lights and gauges work.... and the original factory build sheet is still in the glovebox!

8. Liked by: Swanny

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Sigh, great timing, I just sold mine to make way for guitar building space.

And another i sold a few years back

Once I have a bigger shed I'm looking at getting a hotrod or a 58 Plymouth Fury.

10. Liked by: Swanny

Quote Originally Posted by zeromick View Post
    I bought a Chev!

I've been looking for some american muscle for a while now and this one landed in my lap.

Monte Carlo? I'm not up with a lot of the 70's chevs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Monte Carlo? I'm not up with a lot of the 70's chevs.
    Well spotted man, yep, Monte Carlo.

that Regal is tidy!

They both were, the green one was a lot more stressful as I didn't like parking it anywhere.

Hard to go past the 70's, although I like cars from lots of different eras, some may say I'm a bit obsessive....

14. Liked by: Swanny

Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast