Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast

Thread: Extramural Activities, Hidden Talents and Hobbies...

Quote Originally Posted by Dedman View Post
    They have just put an archery range in at my pistol club, have thought about having a go but am a bit concerned about my rotorcuff, its the kind of injury that you don't know your getting till its too late.
    I know what you mean Deddy, I blew my shoulder out a number of years ago playing cricket. I can't throw a ball any more without pain if I'm putting effort into it, but surprisingly, I can bowl with as much pace as I can get with no issues.
    You might be surprised what you can do with your shoulder, depending on the activity.
    Acoustics:
    1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
    2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup

Electrics:
    Pitbull LP-1S - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5745
    Carsen Superstrat Rebuild - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6284

Builds in Progress:
    Silent Guitar Semi-Scratch Build - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6809

yea Zan, I can handle shooting a shotgun for a match, but a few hours of sanding or polishing the car and I pay for it for a week
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Quote Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
    I know what you mean Deddy, I blew my shoulder out a number of years ago playing cricket. I can't throw a ball any more without pain if I'm putting effort into it, but surprisingly, I can bowl with as much pace as I can get with no issues.
    You might be surprised what you can do with your shoulder, depending on the activity.
    I'm in that club too, tore my rotator cuff in 2002 and it just refuses to get better, I throw side/underarm now which is easier on the shoulder, bowling is fine but it is now farce rather than fast

4. Liked by: wazkelly, Zandit75

I have had a shoulder dislocated in the past but in find archery there isn't any sudden movements weird angles that upset it and it only gets sore after a big day of bow tuning (sighting in after I have changed something)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Oddly enough, archery done correctly doesn't use the shoulders so much as the back muscles - I was trained to squeeze my shoulder blades together at full draw rather than use my arms and shoulders. Now, that was years ago and nowadays with modern compound bows allowing about a 70% let off at full draw, things have got a little easier on the body!
    If you want to have a go at bending a bow, I would suggest you rock up to a proper archery club - bow hunters or target - on a come and try day and have a crack under proper supervision.... the coaches are generally pretty good!
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by corsair View Post
    Oddly enough, archery done correctly doesn't use the shoulders so much as the back muscles - I was trained to squeeze my shoulder blades together at full draw rather than use my arms and shoulders. Now, that was years ago and nowadays with modern compound bows allowing about a 70% let off at full draw, things have got a little easier on the body!
    If you want to have a go at bending a bow, I would suggest you rock up to a proper archery club - bow hunters or target - on a come and try day and have a crack under proper supervision.... the coaches are generally pretty good!
    80% let off on my bow and the cams roll over nice and smooth compared to my old bow

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I thought I was a freak because I can still bowl but can;t throw overarm without pain leading to shouted rude words and a completely dead arm for half an hour or so. Obviously I'm not the only one!

However, shoulder problems shouldn;t affect archery, as Corsair says you use your back muscles.

Unfortunately that means that back problems have led to these two sitting on my wall as decoration for a few years I have had a lot of fun with them over the years though. It's a great sport Dedman, go to a come and try day and have a bash at it!

9. Liked by: Fuzzbeard

nope, don't need another expense! Guitars and shooting keep me broke!
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

11. Liked by: wazkelly

Quote Originally Posted by Dedman View Post
    nope, don't need another expense! Guitars and shooting keep me broke!
    Amen Brother Dedman, I would modify the statement to, Guitars, guitar tooling, wood working machinery and a three year old keep me broke.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

raining so....Major Distraction kept me from the workshop today.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	General-Chaos.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	20481
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom