Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Fender VI Kit

30". Save the 27" for baritone conversions (which are cool too, but thats really a different animal I think).

Definitely 30" scale. Also be aware that Squier VI bridge can be an intonation nightmare. There's an aftermarket bridge by Staytrem which apparently works miracles, but is pretty pricey.

Here's a link that offers suggested solutions.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fend...ing-and-inton/
    "Music is in the air; it's my job to pull it out."- Jaco Pastorius

seen them with Bigsby's too
    Build 11 MKA-2 - in progress
    Build 10 Basic strat finished
    Build 9 JM Kustom finished
    Build 8 FV-1G finished
    Build 7 ES-2V finished
    Build 6- Community prototype 4 finished
    Build 5 LP-1LQ finished
    Build 4 ES-5V finished
    Build 3 JR-1 finished
    Build 2 GD-1 finished
    Build 1 TLA-1 finished

Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    30". Save the 27" for baritone conversions (which are cool too, but thats really a different animal I think).
    Wire as a series 2 VI with the strangle switch and you have the bass and the bari in one.

All bass's are a bari if you don't venture below B on the A or E strings and a 5 string tuned E - B would give you the same thing as the deep five on the VI with the wider string spacing.

The Fender VI basically has Strat string spacing so quite a challenge to slap and tickle
    Last edited by dave.king1; 04-07-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    The Fender VI basically has Strat string spacing so quite a challenge to slap and tickle
    Slap is possible with a bit of practice, and it does take some right hand adjustment. I'll post a video later of my experiments with it...
    "Music is in the air; it's my job to pull it out."- Jaco Pastorius

30" gets my vote! Trying to get E-E Bass VI tuning on a 27 scale instrument is a pain in the neck. BUT! Don't forget that Fender/Squier makes a Jazzmaster Baritone model now that's 30" scale that is tuned in baritone tuning. It's all about string gauges to fit the scale.

Also, as much as a Bigsby would be cool, they can be tuning stability nightmares, which isn't something you really want on a bass. I vote hardtail Bass VI.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6