Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pitbull guitar stock parts

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    Hey DrN,

if you dont mind ordering from the States, Warmoth (?spelling) and Mighty Mite are your best bests. They seem to get good reviews and and good build consistency. Both sell on eBay as well

Excuse me if you have posted this anywhere else, but have you tried things like:
    New strings, Checked bridge saddle(s), String heights etc.

Yep, tried all those things and found that it was definitely the LSR Roller Nut causing the open high E-String to buzz like a sitar, basically the little neoprene dampener was raising the string up a little bit and the string was buzzing against the ball-bearings.

A Fender LSR Nut is different to a traditional Strat nut in that each of the strings rests on two steel ball-bearings, this is to eliminate friction that causes tuning stability problems when using the trem arm to raise/lower the pitch of a note being played, on the headstock side of an LSR Nut next to each pair of ball-bearings is a neoprene rubber string dampener, this is to stop the length of the string going to the tuner from resonating when you pluck the string.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    Yep, tried all those things and found that it was definitely the LSR Roller Nut causing the open high E-String to buzz like a sitar, basically the little neoprene dampener was raising the string up a little bit and the string was buzzing against the ball-bearings.

A Fender LSR Nut is different to a traditional Strat nut in that each of the strings rests on two steel ball-bearings, this is to eliminate friction that causes tuning stability problems when using the trem arm to raise/lower the pitch of a note being played, on the headstock side of an LSR Nut next to each pair of ball-bearings is a neoprene rubber string dampener, this is to stop the length of the string going to the tuner from resonating when you pluck the string.
    In that case I would have though a replacement nut would make more sense than a replacement neck...

Quote Originally Posted by bargeloobs View Post
    In that case I would have though a replacement nut would make more sense than a replacement neck...

Yeah, I guess, I do happen to have a Bone nut for a Strat, the only problem is that when I installed the LSR Nut, I had to widen the nut-trench out towards the first fret so that the LSR Nut would fit, just been thinking of how I could salvage the situation so I could use the Bone nut, what I might try doing is cutting a piece of maple wood from another neck I've got (the neck has a little screw in it which I can't remove since the head broke off) and use the piece of wood to make the nut-trench narrow enough so that the Bone nut can fit.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    Yeah, I guess, I do happen to have a Bone nut for a Strat, the only problem is that when I installed the LSR Nut, I had to widen the nut-trench out towards the first fret so that the LSR Nut would fit, just been thinking of how I could salvage the situation so I could use the Bone nut, what I might try doing is cutting a piece of maple wood from another neck I've got (the neck has a little screw in it which I can't remove since the head broke off) and use the piece of wood to make the nut-trench narrow enough so that the Bone nut can fit.
    Yeah, or get a nut cut that fits the slot. DB could jimmy you one up and it'd still be far cheaper than a replacement neck, not to mention easier and cleaner than trying to muck round with a shim.
    dingobass@pitbullguitars.com
    Last edited by bargeloobs; 11-01-2015 at 07:51 AM.

good idea Bargy, simply a hand made wide nut

Yeah, or get a nut cut that fits the slot. DB could jimmy you one up and it'd still be far cheaper than a replacement neck, not to mention easier than trying to muck round with a messy shim.
    dingobass@pitbullguitars.com

Well, if I could post the neck off to him and he could cut a nut for it, that would be cool, I'll have to send him an email and have a yarn to him about it and see what he reckons, I'm not too fussed about not being able to play the Strat while he has the neck as I've got a few other guitars I can play in the meantime, for example, a nice Gibson USA Les Paul Studio I bought last year as a Birthday/Christmas present.

He doesn't have to do any string-slot filing since I have a set of 6 Nut-Slot files in 42-09 gauge (the string gauge I use on the Strat), so I can file the slots myself.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 11-01-2015 at 08:02 AM.

I imagine he'd be more than happy to get you back on track if you drop him a line. Hell at the end of the day if he knew the width of the modified slot you might not even have to post off the neck, like you say, you'll just have to shoot him a message and see what he reckons:-)

I imagine he'd be more than happy to get you back on track if you drop him a line. Hell at the end of the day if he knew the width of the modified slot you might not even have to post off the neck, like you say, you'll just have to shoot him a message and see what he reckons:-)

It'll probably work out cheaper, I think a neck from eBay could set me back as much as $300.00 or more, not to mention packaging and posting, okay then, I'll send him an email and see how it goes, but I'll make sure to measure the trench width first beforehand, cheers for that mate, much appreciated.

Good luck with that!!

Alternatively - grab yourself a bone nut for a Gibbo - not sure how wide your slot is now, but the Gibbo one should be wide enough - if not - fill on the headstock side of the nut with some thing - Paua shell or something like that - make a feature of the remaining gap... If you've got the files, you may be able to fix it yourself with a bit of sanding...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast