Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brendans ES-4B

Now that I've finished a few projects, I have a little room to start some new ones...
    So new project #1:
    ES4-B currently named "I wish that I was beautiful to you" after a Darren Hanlon song in keeping with my theme of song names for guitars.

Step 1... Can't face sanding just yet - so those fret dots get a facelift!

Looks great Brendan. Will have to overcome my fear and attempt this one day..

cheers,
    Gav.
    --
    Build #01: BC-1
    Build #02: ST-1
    Build #03: JR-1DC
    Build #04: ES-2V
    Build #05: ESB-4 (GOTM July 2014)
    Build #06: RC-1
    Build #07: MK-2
    Build #08: TLA-1
    Build #09: JR-1DC
    Build #0A: LPA-1
    Build #0B: STA-1 (GOTM April 2015)
    Build #0C: MKA-2
    Build #0D: LP-1M
    Build #0E: JB-1
    Build #0F: FS-1

Find me:
    https://www.facebook.com/firescreek.guitars/
    http://www.guitarkitbuilder.blogspot.com.au/

Handy tip for you Bman.

You may have to shim the neck heel to get the right neck angle, otherwise you will end up with an action that is waaaaaaaaay to high

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Noted. Thanks DB.

Brendan, those paua shell dot markers look cool hey.
    Another person who will need therapy after wiring an ES !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

[quote]/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from Brendan on May 4, 2014, 22:55
    Nice touch with the inlays, you'll have to make a vid to demonstrate your skills, I'd love to know how to do that.

Barge - little birdie told me that there may be a public demo in Perth sometime soon, so if you're a local - keep an eye on the forum!
    Other than that - may get around to a video sometime - running out of necks. May need to explain to the wife that I'm contributing to global education and I need to buy another kit to do it... Not sure if she'll go for it though.

"Global Education" I couldn't think of a better excuse for buying a kit, she'll definitely understand:-)
    btw I'm over in SA so unfortunately no go.

Sanded the body - barely touched the top and bottom as I didn't want to burn through either... On DB's advice, I've started to look at the neck seating and have found an interesting challenge...
    The bottom of the neck cavity is way uneven and in one point is ~ 1mm lower than the rest of the neck cavity. Figuring that I'll have a fun time sanding it back and then have to pack it with some shims... Unfortunately, the action looks not terrible at first glance... That said, still have to knock the posts in and set up the bridge properly.

Started to stain - one of the benefits of being a mod is that I get access to some of the fun stuff before it hits circulation (guess I'm part guinea pig). Anyhoo - welcome to Dingotone Karajini Red (first coat at least).

For those who haven't been up that way, another way to describe it would be a Margaret River Burgundy of the Cab Sav variety - very luscious and mellow...

In terms of how it goes on ... like a dream ... Wudtone was easy. This is almost kids stuff. Smells like you've just cut up some lemons and limes and goes on beautifully. DB's got the mix spot on, so it doesn't create tide lines if you lift the rag for more than 3 seconds. It also has a beautiful depth to the colour. What you see here is one thin coat of the first bass coat ragged on then wiped back. Already it feels darker than Wudtone.

In terms of wood - this is the response on basswood (back and sides of the ES4-B). Wait till the weekend and I can get some on the front (flamed maple ). Kinda excited myself to see how it goes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast