Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alternate 5 string bass

Wow I didn't know they make RD Artist basses. Interested to see how the kits turn out.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from adam on September 26, 2014, 18:00
    Ok, I'm keen. If someone can describe exactly what I'm supposed to be ordering, I'll get some in.

So, it's a Thunderbird shaped 5 string bass, reverse headstock (will probably be blank), 2 humbuckers, black hardware... what else?
    Think that nailed it Adam Not sure if there was a preference for timber. I am in anyways.

Would love to add this to the collection - down the track - I've got a couple underway and am getting the how many more guitars conversation regularly. The how many pairs of shoes arguement isn't currently working.

If it was to go ahead - I'd love to see it in mahogany. 2 ash basses now, 3 basswood - good to get a different wood to see how it changes the sound...

/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Tim on September 26, 2014, 21:41
    /<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from adam on September 26, 2014, 18:00
    Ok, I'm keen. If someone can describe exactly what I'm supposed to be ordering, I'll get some in.

So, it's a Thunderbird shaped 5 string bass, reverse headstock (will probably be blank), 2 humbuckers, black hardware... what else?
    Think that nailed it Adam Not sure if there was a preference for timber. I am in anyways.

Don't think timber was mentioned but something with a little grain would be nice as i intend to go natural but i am easy either way.

I've got a custom shop tbird that's a real hassle to play, main reason I've ordered the ib5 actually. Beyond the body shape which is awkward to sit with, and needs a flexible stand, neck dive is a big problem too because of strap pin location. My advice for builders would be to work out how you will use it and make sure you're prepared to modify the original design accordingly.

Ok so with the negatives out of the way, Thunderbirds sound awesome and that's why we put up with the drawbacks. I'll build an ib5 to play on more often, but if I was recording or doing a rock gig it's tbird all the way.

Oh and they're super heavy but that's part of the sound. So think mahogany. I'd chamber it before changing timber.

Oh yea please i want a five strings too.

Im in i want one

Quote Originally Posted by lucha19 View Post
    Im in i want one
    I'm not sure if you noticed the date of this thread, but it's almost three years since the last comment was made.
    Perhaps you can get in touch with Adam to see if there is something available?
    Acoustics:
    1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
    2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup

Electrics:
    Pitbull LP-1S - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5745
    Carsen Superstrat Rebuild - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6284

Builds in Progress:
    Silent Guitar Semi-Scratch Build - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6809

Sounds like my custom order! i ordered the tb-4 with reversed headstock and for the controls a telecaster plate. Now a question comes to mind: what is actually the difference between a thunderbird and firebird?

Thunderbird is a bass Firebird a guitar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2