Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterslide Decals

Here's a tip for those Pitbull decal users. This product is called Micro Sol. Its a decal setting solution that is mainly used in the scale modelling scene. It allows the decal to conform to different shapes and basically makes the decal look painted on.

For the best results, I first apply Micro Sol to the prepared the surface. Make sure the surface is free of particles that could get under the decal's film and cause a blemish. Then, when everything is dry enough that the decal will not move easily, apply Micro Sol with a small flat brush. Apply with as few strokes as possible so a not to disturb the decal. Then allow the decal to dry without disturbing it. One application is enough in most cases, but if necessary, a second application of Micro Sol can be helpful.

You can pick this stuff up from decent hobby shops.

Got some headstocks logo'd bit of an art to apllying the decals but practice is gold
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

lookin' good wokks

Found a gibson font, but they want money so we can counterfiet our guitars . something oddly wrong about that lol

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/nicksfonts/gitfiddler-nf/

PK
    Kellza
    (PK)
    "Jack of all trades, Master of None"
    "You'll never ever know if you don't have a go"

https://www.facebook.com/PaulWKelly

Avatar Image is a "The headstock of my first scratchy"

Hey guys, just wondering if someone might be able to help me out here.
    I'd originally planned on making a black waterslide decal of a logo I'd designed to go on the back of a bare timber headstock (just to be clear, when I say "bare timber" I mean natural, The headstock already had a light coat of lacquer)
    So I bought some paper on ebay. They printed off beautifully, took the sealing lacquer no worries at all, seemed to stick to the headstock well, but as soon as I tried to cover it up with lacquer (nitro) it just started to lift. I tried this 3 times with the same problem each time.
    So I've changed my whole plan of attack since then and have decided to go with a black painted stinger on the back of the headstock which means I now need white printing on a waterslide decal. Does anyone know of a solution for getting this done locally? I've come across a few blokes printing these in the States but they're dear as poison and I'm thinkin' there must be people able to print these sort of decals a bit closer to home. I'm totally open to any suggestions regarding getting this design on here bearing in mind I've already tried a vinyl decal on the front of the headstock which disintegrated under the nitro.
    Cheers in advance.

Hey Bargeloobs, I've always put the waterslide decal on before any clear coats, then I apply the clear coats ontop to protect it. Can't you print the logo in white and apply it on the colour coat before any clear coats ?
    I'd get in touch with forum member Andyport has a sign printing company, he can probably give you a solution. Email him at citysigns@internode.on.net

Completed builds

/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on May 13, 2014, 11:03
    Hey Bargeloobs, I've always put the waterslide decal on before any clear coats, then I apply the clear coats ontop to protect it. Can't you print the logo in white and apply it on the colour coat before any clear coats ?
    I'd get in touch with forum member Andyport has a sign printing company, he can probably give you a solution. Email him at citysigns@internode.on.net
    So you're saying you lay the logo on bare unfinished timber before shooting clear? I'm not saying it's not the way because obviously it works for you but everything I've read about covering waterslides with nitro is you need to lay a light layer of nitro on the surface before the decal goes down.
    I tried sticking a waterslide straight to my bare headstock overlay, shot it with clear and it left the outline of the waterslide really visible and eventually started to lift.
    Also average printers don't print in white hence the reason I need a professional.
    I definitely give Andyport a try, thanks heaps Wokks!

Bargeloobs I know nothing about using nitro and decal stickers, so Andy should be able to help. I've been applying them after stain coats and using wudtone or tru oil clear over and been getting good results, although the clear part of the sticker is pretty obvious.
    Last 6 or 8 headstocks I've used Andy has made some 4D Guitars vinyl stickers and they look excellent and there's no clear backing

Completed builds

Andyport is the go-to guy in all things decal!

Give him a holler!
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

I'm catching you Gav, I'm only 48 posts behind mate !

Completed builds

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast