Thread: Master Tap for Three Tapped (3-wire) Single Coils?

Master Tap for Three Tapped (3-wire) Single Coils?

Hey guys,

I'm planning on buying a set of Duncan Quarter Pounds for my Strat, and likely getting the Tappable versions to be able to tame the output when I want to. I'm looking for wiring diagrams though, and all I can find is a couple of examples that use one switch per pickup.

I'm wondering if it is possible to do a Master coil tap for all three at once? Or does it have to be at least two switches? Or three?

I'll be pulling the SD tapped stacked HBs out of my Strat in the next couple of days if you are interested.

I don't have them tapped and they have changed the character of the guitar completely, I have two other HB guitars and want my Hank B / James Wilsey sound back.

I think from memory there's a sneaky way using one push/pull combined with one side of a standard 5-way to split all three at once, but it would only work with a single tone pot (not two like a strat). I'll have a rummage around in my diagrams later and see what I can find, I think I sketched it out somewhere... but I could be delusional.

That being said, the simplest option is probably just to use two push/pulls, one to split the neck and middle and the other to split the bridge separately. Or, you could use a 3-4 pole mini-toggle to split all three at once.
    Scott.

Just after I posted, I did actually look in to how the switches actually work, and I did think that a 3PDT toggle would do the job. I think that'll be the way to go.

So coming off of that, I do just want to confirm that I do know how it should be wired in. I looked up the SD diagram ( http://www.seymourduncan.com/wp-cont...mtTP_1V_2T.pdf ) and from there I think I know how it goes, but just want to confirm, using my vast MS paint skills

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wow i am good at ms paint.png 
Views:	150 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	18335

If I'm following correctly, I could swap those three mini-toggles with a single 3 pole toggle wired like that, yeah?

Dave: I'm specifically lookin' for Quarter Pounds, so I'll pass on that. But thanks anyway!

Yep, replacing the three mini-toggles with a single 3PDT is fine, splitting all three at once with the one switch.
    Scott.

No worries BL, just put it out there