Thread: Made a start!

Made a start!

Did my dry run on Sunday and all looked good.
    I took a saw to my headstock and also repaired a ding in the bottom of the neck. Spent the rest of the day sanding and am now getting close to adding some stain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180311_122437.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	485.8 KB 
ID:	25439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180311_122409.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	568.9 KB 
ID:	25440  

Spent last weekend sanding & sanding. Turned out it still wasn't enough!
    This weekend I started adding some colour, the pics are early on, it's looking better now. I used UBeaut water based stain for the front & back & Feast Watson jarrah for the sides & neck. The water based dye is very forgiving but it does raise the grain a bit. I found it wasn't a good idea to follow the instructions to wet the surface first, it pulled the grain too much. It worked much better to add the dye to a dry surface in sparing amounts & really work it in.
    I was a bit disappointed when I first added some colour to the neck, the 2 different types of wood either side of the skarfe joint absorbed dye at wildly differing rates making the joint really obvious. I always intended going really dark so after a few more coats it doesn't look so bad now.

I'll leave the dye to dry for a few days now before glueing the neck to the body. I'm thinking of using tung oil for the final finish, i've used it on some cigar box project & liked it. Has anyone else used it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180317_173417-1.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	542.0 KB 
ID:	25540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180317_171639-1.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	577.2 KB 
ID:	25539