Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hey there! Lefty looking to have a go at a first time build

Hey there! Lefty looking to have a go at a first time build

Hey guys

Came across your kits when searching google and I've been hovering over the "buy now" on the TL-1L kit for a few hours. A quick search on the forum finds nothing on that kit though, and I'm interested to know what others have done with this kit.

I've never built or modified a guitar before, so this will be a new experience.

I have been playing guitar for about 2 1/2 years, still feel like a noob though If you're interested, check out my music (I write a bit, also recorded a few instrumentals and jam vids) here: https://www.facebook.com/HopeIsHereArtist/

So I guess this post is a bit more of a question than an intro... but I'm looking to see what others have done with the Lefty Tele kit, what it sounds like and any tips you could give on a first time build (links to other posts etc).

Thanks!

Overlord of Music
    Hi Dan.

The vast majority of us had never attempted any sort of build before we started here, don't let that hold you back.

The TL-1L is quite literally a mirror of the TL-1, so check out the photo gallery for some ideas.

Jump in, have fun and ask questions.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

hi mate, I'm another lefty, I'm fortunate enough to have a Fender Tele, so no experience with this kit...

However, this and the ST would have to be one of the most suitable beginner kits, with the edge going to the tele for the simplicity of two single coil pickups.

if you are thinking of doing this , then the tele would be an excellent choice, many have been built here and lots of help from awesome people

one thing to consider would be making sure you are getting lefty pots etc, or you wind them backwards to get sound and tone and the wiring is mirrored, i just buy lefty stuff separately

good luck and enjoy - just jump in go slowly and you cant go too far wrong

You never know until you try Dan! You've taken the gutsy leap to put your musicianship out there for others to see (nice work on your FB videos!), so I figure making your own guitar is certainly in you!! I'm in the process of doing my first Pit Bull build with a TL-1 and I've made a couple of early mods to the body shape, and the possibilities with what you can do are pretty wide open - as you can see from the array of very talented folks on the forum. Go for it.
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #6 N1R "Semi-scratch" build
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project
    The Magnificent Compaņeros

Thanks guys

It just so happens that I happen to have expensive hobbies... playing guitar and making movies! It comes down to which one robs me of my rent money on any given week. Got a few gigs coming up that might offset the purchase of the tele, so once I pounce on that I'll start bombarding the forums with all my questions.

My biggest question is... how do the stock pickups sound? Are they something I'll want to replace in the future?
    Just call me Dan.

My guitars: Epiphone SG, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro, Ibanez PF15-ECE all fed through a Laney LX65R with a Mooer GE100 multi effects pedal. Check out my music if you're interested, and my other hobby turned business here!

Hi Dan welcome to the forum. lefty Tele build sounds like a great place to start. The stock pups aren't too bad. I'd say down the track when you save some coin you will probably end up upgrading them. The Toneriders are really good value about $100 a set.
    Start a build diary when the kit arrives and ask any questions you have.
    Best of luck
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    The stock pups aren't too bad. I'd say down the track when you save some coin you will probably end up upgrading them. The Toneriders are really good value about $100 a set.
    Start a build diary when the kit arrives and ask any questions you have.
    Best of luck
    Thanks Wokka! Looking at eBay I'm seeing a few of the stock Fender Tele pickups up secondhand for a pretty good price ($50 for the neck pup) so I may go down that road at some point.

My ideal plan so far is this:

- Gold hardware
    - a pickup great for those clean country/blues tele tones as well as something that dirties up well for solos
    - Some kind of trem system (A Tele with a floyd would be interesting... but perhaps a bigsby or similar down the line?)
    - Locking tuners / grovers (If I could be picky).
    - nice smooth neck for easy navigation (no gross gunky gloss coat like the Squier Affinity strats and teles I've seen)
    - finished in dark woodgrain stain or black with grain coming through).

Obviously the floyd/bigsby trem is a farfetched dream, and probably won't happen on this guitar. I'll settle for a strat bridge if need be, or just stick with the stock bridge for now and mess around with an experimental tele if I catch the build bug.

I'll definitely do a build diary. Being the video-sage I am, I'll probably document it every step of the way.
    Just call me Dan.

My guitars: Epiphone SG, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro, Ibanez PF15-ECE all fed through a Laney LX65R with a Mooer GE100 multi effects pedal. Check out my music if you're interested, and my other hobby turned business here!

definitely Bigsby for trem, they look cool on teles

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    definitely Bigsby for trem, they look cool on teles
    and they stay in tune
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Quote Originally Posted by LeftHandDan View Post
    Hey guys

Came across your kits when searching google and I've been hovering over the "buy now" on the TL-1L kit for a few hours. A quick search on the forum finds nothing on that kit though, and I'm interested to know what others have done with this kit.

I've never built or modified a guitar before, so this will be a new experience.

I have been playing guitar for about 2 1/2 years, still feel like a noob though If you're interested, check out my music (I write a bit, also recorded a few instrumentals and jam vids) here: https://www.facebook.com/HopeIsHereArtist/

So I guess this post is a bit more of a question than an intro... but I'm looking to see what others have done with the Lefty Tele kit, what it sounds like and any tips you could give on a first time build (links to other posts etc).

Thanks!
    Hey left hand Dan..Check out the build diary's for info and Mistakes....If you look at mine I use shoe Polish!!!! So go crazy....
    Current Builds.

TL Quited Maple.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast