Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Wazkelly Build diary for DIY closing down sale Ash J Bass

Wazkelly Build diary for DIY closing down sale Ash J Bass

Yep, officially a sucker for punishment as this will be my 4th build when I haven't even finished 1st or 2nd and just starting a 3rd as well. GAS has surely gotta hold of me. Had to help clear some of the DIY closing down stock and was always eyeing off doing an Ash J Bass at some stage. Have longed for a Candy Apple Red with white pick guard and Maple Fret Board for ages however as this has so much awesome grain there is no way that will be hidden by a solid colour. Trying to figure out which way to go to get that toffee apple translucent red over the slightly pinkish darker Ash might be the challenge and any suggestions would be appreciated. At this stage I have looked at many different ideas from Color Tone Cherry Red and maybe mixing that with some Color Tone Mahogany? Maybe Feast & Watson Cedar mixed with their Mahogany and watered down with Metho? Looked into leather dyes and stumbled across Jacquard fabric dyes that could work too. Saw Keda dyes on Ebay and not too sure if I want to go down that path. Having used DT for 1st & 2nd builds believe Karajini Red might be the closet to Cherry Red but not convinced that is the product I want to use on this occasion. Also bought some humble food colouring at the supermarket last night and still tempted to find the darkest ink pad ink to play around with too. Looking forward to any feedback as this will be a slow burner whilst looking to find the exact colour to show off all this grainy goodness. Did buy some ebony timber mate from the BGSFOS and apologise profusely hoping that Woks has a pint waiting for me when I have been extradited to the Naughty Warehouse. Some dry and wet photos below where there is only one blemish around curve of top horn down to neck pocket. Most of these kits have at least one of these issues to deal with and a shame their QC standards a so low.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	389.0 KB 
ID:	7861Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 5.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	489.1 KB 
ID:	7863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 6.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	551.6 KB 
ID:	7864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 7.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	572.5 KB 
ID:	7865

Wet photos to show off the grain....and that blemish/glue spot/filler near the neck pocket on top horn.

Name:	photo 8 front wet.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	671.1 KB 
ID:	7866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3 wet back.JPG 
Views:	316 
Size:	440.2 KB 
ID:	7867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1 Wet neck spot.JPG 
Views:	328 
Size:	529.7 KB 
ID:	7869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2 wet neck spot close up.JPG 
Views:	327 
Size:	516.9 KB 
ID:	7870

nice looking kit Waz, in 15 minutes you just went up to level 2 in the GAS lounge. The service, food and drinks get better in the higher levels haha
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    nice looking kit Waz, in 15 minutes you just went up to level 2 in the GAS lounge. The service, food and drinks get better in the higher levels haha
    What, better than Qantas & Virgin lounges? Is that possible?

Banned
    Good stuff Waz your moving quicker than me but i tend to procrastinate.

GAS is a terrible thing, i have projects all around me and i am trying to get some finished, but the pile keeps mounting.

A telecaster bass is next, then i might do one of those Airline style guitars with the resin body and the tele 12 string with the Z coils i need to cut a pic guard for etc etc etc.

I am doing a candy apple red with the 12 string when i figure out how i actually want to approach it.

Cheers Tonyw, only thing holding most of us back is either time and/or money, or both.

Just a shout to all the grain filler experts......when is it best to apply the grain filler?

Bought some ebony timbermate and looking at the raw body makes me wonder if you apply grain filler before doing any sanding, after a bit of sanding (up to which Grit Level) and whether you need to reapply it more than once?

Would really appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks, Waz.

hey Waz, I usually sand to about 240 grit and then apply the grain filler, wouldn't hurt to even go to 320.
    The ash grain is quite coarse so it may need 2 applications of timbermate.
    Then I hand sand from the same grit to about 360 or 400 is heaps
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Thanks Woks, really appreciate your help and advice.

Banned
    Heres an extract of my Baritone build, it may help.

I have to fill and seal the body first so i have some Timbermate wood filler in natural and also some Birchwood Casey Sealer and filler, i may go the timbermate 1st to fill the grain then follow up with the BC sealer and filler, once that done i will start to tru oil the body

Prep for sealing plugged all the holes with bamboo skewers then cut them short

also gave it a sanding till smooth with 220

Then a single coat of tru oil sealer and filler

Have done a coat of Timbermate wood filler, its quite hot here and its going off quik. I made the Timbermate filler up to a slurry with water and covered the body with it using a plastic scraper and then i take it all of rather quickly, then leave 2 hours to dry, i will then sand it back and repeat steps one and two Tru oil filler sealer then timber mate filler i will then sand back until its smooth.

A day after the coat of Timbermate neautral filler i spend a bit of time sanding everything back with 220 grit, time consuming and gives you Popeye arms. After the sanding i ran over the body with the brush head of a vacuum cleaner then wiped the whole guitar with naptha. A second sealer coat was then applied, i went a bit thicker and made sure i got everthing.

Next is another coat of timbermate filler.

I have final filled the body again this afternoon and just now sanded it all back, its ready for another thick sealing coat as soon as i vacuum off the body and wipe it down with naptha. I look like a negative of a Welsh coal miner i am covered in filler dust.

I used neutral body filler on the first coat but it left the grain looking a little bit pinky so i added a slurp of Feast and Watsons maple stain to my liking, the colour of the paste will tell you what your getting. This filled the grain nicely and left it more natural.

A thick final seal needs to sit for 24hrs then we start with the coats of tru oil.

Name:	bod.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	7988

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast