Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Pedal Day!!

New Pedal Day!!

Hey Everyone,

Yesterday I bought myself a new pedal to add to my collection, it's one that I've been wanting to buy for a long time, the pedal I bought is a brand new Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer pedal, yes I know that I've got an Ibanez TS-808 tube Screamer pedal and it does pretty much the same thing as the TS-9 does, however, to my ears the TS-9 seems to have a bit more bottom end as well as gain compared to the TS-808, it also sounds a bit thicker too.

Here's a pic of my new TS-9 pedal:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TS_9 Pedal_resized.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	23370

The TS-9 Tube Screamer is one of the classic overdrive pedals that Ibanez manufactured along with the TS808, both have been used by lots of famous guitarists in the past, it has three controls, Drive, Tone, and Level, personally I think it is one of the most useful pedals you can have on your pedal board because there are at least three ways you can use it, you can use it in one of the following three ways:

1, To warm up your clean sound by setting the Drive control low, setting the Level control to match the bypassed signal-level, and the tone control to taste.

2, To generate a light overdrive effect by setting the Drive control to produce the desired amount of overdrive, and the other two controls to taste.

3, To generate a clean-ish boost effect to push an already overdriven amp harder by setting the Drive control to about the 11 o clock position, the Level control to about the 1 o clock position and the Tone control to taste (I tend to set it to the 12 o clock position).

Tube Screamers tend to produce a tone that is a bit midrangey, I think that's actually a good thing since the midrangey tone will cut through in a live band mix, or a studio mix.

There's been lots of Tube Screamer clone boutique pedals available, most likely due to the popularity of Ibanez's TS series of pedals, you can even buy DIY Tube Screamer kits too, all in all, I reckon it's a handy one to have in your pedal collection.

I tried out my new TS-9 pedal with my Marshall amp and my Fender Strat and my LP Studio, and it works for me, so I'm happy with it.

2. Liked by: Guvna19

nice, ibanez fan i am

Love the TS-9 Doc
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

It's a real easy to use pedal, I found that I didn't have to put a lot of effort into it to get a good tone with it and an amp, if you team it up with a simple amp, like the Pitbull Guitars 5 Watt amp, you're guaranteed to get some pretty good results, I'll have to hurry up and get a new speaker for my Peavey Backstage plus amp so I can try the TS-9 with it's overdrive effect.

@ Andy40 one of these should work great with your Blues Cube amp.

Here's a visual side-by-side comparison of the TS-808 with a TS-9, the TS-808 is the one on the right:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My TS_808 and TS_9_resized.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	23375

Notice how the TS-808 is coloured a different shade of green, the control knobs are different too, the internal circuitry is practically identical except for some minor component value differences, to my ears the TS-808 seems a bit less gainey than the TS-9, but the tonal differences are relatively minor, the TS-9 seems to have slightly more gain and bottom end, and sounds a bit thicker too, both pedals will get the job done, apparently Stevie Ray Vaughan used the TS-808 a lot in his onstage guitar rig, he's also been known to use the TS-10 too.

Here's an interesting technical article about the TS series of pedals, it also explains the component differences between the TS-808, TS-9 and TS-10:

http://www.geofex.com/article_folder...ch/tsxtech.htm

As it says in the article, you can easily modify a TS-10 pedal into a TS-9 or a TS-808 simply by changing the value of some components, I used to own a TS-10 and didn't think it was that great, so I modded it to TS-808 specs and liked how it sounded, I also experimented with different Op Amp ICs and found that I liked either TLO72CP ICs, or LF353 ICs, to my ears they made the pedal sound smoother.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 22-11-2017 at 05:40 PM.

Must be an Ibanez day...

I was rummaging around in my shed looking through old boxes of junk (and tossing half of it) and came across my OLD Ibanez Overdrive. It is vintage enough to not have a 9V plug so only runs on batteries. Internally it is a Maxon device from probably the early '70's.

In the same box I also found a ETI424 spring reverb device which should keep me out of mischief for a while...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171122_210707_resized.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	248.4 KB 
ID:	23377  

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    Must be an Ibanez day...

I was rummaging around in my shed looking through old boxes of junk (and tossing half of it) and came across my OLD Ibanez Overdrive. It is vintage enough to not have a 9V plug so only runs on batteries. Internally it is a Maxon device from probably the early '70's.

In the same box I also found a ETI424 spring reverb device which should keep me out of mischief for a while...

Geez, those two pedals should be worth a bit now if they're originals, was that ETI424 pre-built or was it built from a kit of parts?

Yes, the Ibanez is an original. As I said, it is a battery only model from before the days of 9VDC power supplies... so before I can try it I need to find a 9V battery...

The reverb unit is not a pedal. It's just a circuit board (from the magazine ETI) haphazardly loaded with parts and a 10" spring box attached via some 20cm lengths of wire... just the guts really. I remember getting it sometime in the early eighties and by the looks of it I doubt that I put the parts on the board as they are dressed/mounted differently to how I prefer. I need to find a circuit so I can re-identify the in's and out's and know what voltage should be feeding it. I'm guessing it is most likely 12VDC or 2x9V.... lots of odd tracks and wires to nowhere and nil pots attached makes me think this was ingloriously ripped out of an amp so it may take some work to get it going...

A couple of photos of the ETI424 reverb... Nothing to get too excited over just yet...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171123_173629_resized.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	354.0 KB 
ID:	23379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171123_173703_resized.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	439.9 KB 
ID:	23380  

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    Yes, the Ibanez is an original. As I said, it is a battery only model from before the days of 9VDC power supplies... so before I can try it I need to find a 9V battery...

The reverb unit is not a pedal. It's just a circuit board (from the magazine ETI) haphazardly loaded with parts and a 10" spring box attached via some 20cm lengths of wire... just the guts really. I remember getting it sometime in the early eighties and by the looks of it I doubt that I put the parts on the board as they are dressed/mounted differently to how I prefer. I need to find a circuit so I can re-identify the in's and out's and know what voltage should be feeding it. I'm guessing it is most likely 12VDC or 2x9V.... lots of odd tracks and wires to nowhere and nil pots attached makes me think this was ingloriously ripped out of an amp so it may take some work to get it going...

Sounds like an interesting project, I was doing some internet browsing and found a pdf of a build manual for building a Tube-driven Spring reverb into a 19 inch rack case, building one is on my "to do" projects list.

Just had a look at the pics you posted, I think there may be a circuit diagram for it floating around on the internet somewhere, I'll keep an eye out for it mate.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 23-11-2017 at 02:48 PM.

I've found a circuit... ETI-1977- projects book 1&2...page 34.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast