Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Extramural Activities, Hidden Talents and Hobbies...

Quote Originally Posted by Dedman View Post
    Thats VERY nice Mick. Big Block?
    I'm with Sonic on this one, after a series of Chevs and US Fords, then a string of pommy bikes I've hung up the spanners, although I do admit to hankering for a pre war bike again. ( my kick starting knee says otherwise).
    small block, all original engine, trans (350SBC and T350 trans) this is my first 'toy' and the bug has got me... looking for something 50s or 60s to do a ratty big block build. I'm looking at late 60s biscaynes or something

I did a 66 Galaxie rat build. Stock 390 and FMX. Ended up costing under a grand in the 90's. The car had sat for years because "The power steering is shot" I drove it home with no power steer (!) replaced a gasket on the steering box and all was well
    I painted it in straight white enamel, no tint, you couldn't look at it in the sun light and there for couldn't see the ripples
    Her name was Galaxina
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13906651_10210537993113071_5784281307367043085_n.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	28452

rat Zephyr

Name:	166604_1790269123511_6708047_n.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	28453

gaggle of bikes and my 66 Impala hardtop down the back

Name:	227314_1032801267288_416_n.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	28454
    Last edited by Dedman; 09-10-2018 at 07:15 AM.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zeromick View Post
    so close! haha 71
    I'm pretty happy with that as it's not the breed I know most about
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

I dig the Zephyr Deddy.

AS long as we are sharing....I think I've posted this before in here, but this is my last val in rat rod spec. I do miss it as I'd finally got my ultimate combo of Hi-Comp 265/4 speed with sway bars and it was a tonne of fun to drive. Trying to get it up to compliance with QLD roadworthy after years of friendlys in the NT and a bunch of modifications eventually made me throw my hands up in the air and sell it.

Yea, I used to get "phone worthy" certificates

they defected my 57 Chev off the road, the guy I sold it to re-registered it without touching a thing.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

It's far more about who you know. I worked as a mechanic for he first 3 years I lived in Darwin, so knew a lot of people in the trade. It was easy to get things done. I actually broke down in the driveway to the inspection pit in a Charger I used to have (bad alternator) and they still passed me, mostly because I was always bringing different vehicles in for compliance checks and they knew me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    I dig the Zephyr Deddy.

AS long as we are sharing....I think I've posted this before in here, but this is my last val in rat rod spec. I do miss it as I'd finally got my ultimate combo of Hi-Comp 265/4 speed with sway bars and it was a tonne of fun to drive. Trying to get it up to compliance with QLD roadworthy after years of friendlys in the NT and a bunch of modifications eventually made me throw my hands up in the air and sell it.

You could run it cheap on historic plates these days, no heavy duty compliance issues

That was the original plan, but it still needs to pass roadworthy and be compliant as it had never been registered in QLD previously.

The Queensland mod laws are draconian. This car was originally a 3 speed auto. I did the conversion to 4 speed using all factory parts - it was available as an option. but because the compliance plate said auto I needed a mod plate for that conversion. The compliance plate also said it was a 6 seater, but I lost the middle seat because of the floor shift conversion. I needed a mod plate for the change to the seating arrangement - again all done with factory parts. It was a fucking joke as I had been driving it around and had it rego'd in the NT like that for nearly 5 years. I got in touch with MVR in Darwin and they were super helpful, but apart from it being listed as a manual there was nothing regarding seating capacity. They also didn't consider it a modified vehicle as all the changes were available from factory, so there was no requirement to list mods on the registration. So all I could say was that it was previously registered, which wasn't enough apparently. Law also said that it needs a demister - which is fair enough, I fitted an electronic one that worked better than the original, but got failed as there was no longer any heating as I took that whole unit out. I also got failed for it being too low - it wasn't actually lowered as such - you can just wind the front suspension up and down to adjust it. So after spending a bunch on fixes and inspections and arguing with Dept of Transport I got the shits and pretty much gave up. Being new in town I didn't have a network of people I could draw on to help out either, despite this being a real hot bed of modified cars - there are obviously people in the know on how to get around all this crap, but I didn't know them.

I found Pitbull guitars around the same time and just though 'stuff it' this is more fun and less red tape. Sold it pretty quickly and for the most part don't regret it. They guy got a bargain as there was probably $3000 in new parts included in the sale - but I haven't seen it driving around so no doubt he's now fighting with the bureaucrats.

If you think QLD is tough you should try NSW, I can't get a club or historic plate for the car in my avatar in NSW but could in any other state.

So I have it on full rego at about $800 per year, my daily is free because I have a pension card so I guess there's swings and roundabouts because this is not available in QLD at this time

yup, I had that same arguement with my 57. I had used all original 57 Chev parts in the conversion from 6 /3 on the tree to V8 and Powerglide. I took in the General Motors Official 57 Chev Restoration Guide. A mighty tome the size of a phone book and said, "Look, I have used all original parts, I could have ordered it like this" and the weasal behind the counter pushed the book back with one finger like he was touching a turd and said "This isn't America, I make the rules". Some further research revealed although he was the head inspector for the area, he didn't actually have a drivers licence! At that point I gave up and got more into bikes.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G