Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Simon’s G 1SF

Simon’s G 1SF

This is my first build. Also new to the blog. Working a few things out. Taking it nice and slow. Would appreciate any advice on my build. My working title for this guitar is the EC-A4. Have been lusting over a Gretsch style Rockabilly guitar for some time and also wanted to learn how to build my own guitars. So two falcons with one stone. Finally got around to uploading some pics of the un-boxing and dry build.

With regards to sanding, rather than buying sandpaper from Pitbull, I bought some 400 grade non clogging sandpaper from 'Bunnings'. I can't imagine that this can do any harm?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5037.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	25433   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5038.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	25434   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5040.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	25435  
    Last edited by Simon Ashford; 12-03-2018 at 05:40 PM.

Good start so far - starting with a build diary. I assume you've read - What to do when you first open the box -
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5541 and How toy build your Pitbull Guitar -
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ad.php?t=1895?

Others worth reading is how to post photos - the size limitations get quite a few new starters...
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=2616

Being prepared to take your time is also a good start - if you run into anything you're not sure about - grab a bevvy and pop a question on the forum - there's often someone around...

3. Liked by: Simon Ashford

Thanks Brendan. Yes I did get a bit phased about the image restrictions. But will sort that out soon. I have read as much as I can about what to do when I opened the box. Checked through everything carefully and gently assembled for a mock build. I will proceed slowly and watch as my vids as possible before taking any major leaps. A minor bit of sanding was required to get the set neck in place for the mock build.

The neck joints can take a little while to settle down after travelling, especially if by air. The wood can swell or shrink because of changes in temperature and humidity, but normally settle to their manufactured state after about a week indoors.

Good luck with your build. I hope you enjoy it.

6. Liked by: Simon Ashford

Good luck with your first one and welcome.
    Build-1 ES-3 June 2016 GOTM.
    Build-2 IB-1S
    Build-3. ES-12G June 2019 GOTM.
    Build-4 Gene Simmons axe bass. 43 year project done.
    Build-5. TL-1S May 2021 GOTM joint winner.

8. Liked by: Simon Ashford

Good to know. It was tight and I had to give it a very light sand. Interesting that the wood swells. Well I suppose I am here to learn and figure this stuff out. Much appreciated.

Really impressed with the quality of the body and neck. However I am considering spending some money on upgrading the hardware. Obviously Gretsch or TV Jones pickups are going to deliver a higher level of satisfaction than what has shipped with the guitar kit. This is not a criticism. Just common sense given the cost of the kit. Considering putting on a 'real' Bigsby B7. I would be interested in the thoughts of others that have gone before around upgrades to hard ware. Such as general electrics etc...

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Upgrading is fun and worthwhile. That said, there is nothing wrong with doing the build using all the stock bits first. It's pretty easy to upgrade later. You'll probably be surprised how well a stock kit sounds and plays.

12. Liked by: Simon Ashford

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Upgrading is fun and worthwhile. That said, there is nothing wrong with doing the build using all the stock bits first. It's pretty easy to upgrade later. You'll probably be surprised how well a stock kit sounds and plays.
    Thanks. That is very helpful. Simon

Well done Simon,

I'm just embarking on my first build, a similar guitar. Good luck.

15. Liked by: Simon Ashford

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast