Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Lyn #16 - Bev's Pulpit Tele

A top finish on that Rob, I will have to try the old Brasso on my next one,hopefully not too far away.
    Wayno.
    Build-1 ES-3 June 2016 GOTM.
    Build-2 IB-1S
    Build-3. ES-12G June 2019 GOTM.
    Build-4 Gene Simmons axe bass. 43 year project done.
    Build-5. TL-1S May 2021 GOTM joint winner.

Hi Rob, thanks for the advice on your technique.

I have mainly used a brand new chux wipe folded over several times and wipe on a small amount at a time just like you do. It is usually around 'fold' lines where the body curves away leaving thinner edges where I seem to have had a few issues. Gotta say, for the most part it brings up the smoothest and shiniest surface which is still very soft to touch and not at all grippy as a lot of gloss finishes can be. Does a far better job that just using Meguiars. Just have to leave in the garage for a few days afterwards to allow fumes to dissipate.

Cheers, Waz
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

@Pabs and Sonic
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.

@Simon and Wazza
    Thanks for the warning guys. I have used it on all my guitars and had no idea it could cause such damage. I will point that out as a warning in future posts. I would hate to feel responsible for ruining the finish on someone else's guitar.

@Wayne
    Thanks Wayno.

Take note of what Simon and Wazza said above. Use it sparingly and wipe it off ASAP and you should be right. Works for me, and all my guitars.

@Wazza
    I will probably still use it, but being even more mindful of a little goes a long way.

Yeah it stinks. One of the advantages of not having a workshop, I get to build my guitars outdoors. lol

Thanks again guys
    rob

Just a couple of small jobs today.

I don’t want the top too glossy so I tried a little furniture oil. A bit more glossy than I hoped but I think it will lose the shine fairly quickly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1944.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	217.6 KB 
ID:	25953

The other little job was to shield the control and pup cavities.

Name:	IMG_1947.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	25954

Next week I will deal with the wiring and assemble the guitar and cut the bone nut.

I’m in the home stretch now.

5. Liked by: dave.king1, wazkelly

Well, finally the first of the hurdles with this build. There are always a couple aren’t there?

Minor Problem #1. Finished the assembly and did the wiring. Plugged her into an amp. Guitar knobs all the way to 11 (Spinal Tap anyone?), and……...nothing. Pulled out the lead and got a nice hum, plugged it back into the guitar nothing, nada, zilch. Ready to call it quits for the day, and I turned down the volume on the guitar just a tad and there was life. Turned it all the way down and I had full volume.

As this guitar will probably never (or seldom) be played I thought I would just use leftovers from my previous PBG builds. I must have accumulated dozens of pots as I always upgrade them with my builds. So I just grabbed a couple. Little did I know that I picked the only 2 left-handed pots in my entire collection. D’oh! As they are audio pots I can’t just swap the lugs over and I will have to replace them with righties. No big deal.

Minor Problem #2. Somehow I screwed up the neck pocket and the neck sits way too low in the body so I should probably sort out some shims for it. But as the shims would be more than a few mm thick they would be noticeable and detract from the overall finish. I had bought some brass compensated saddles so I thought I would just flatten the bottom of the saddles so they would sit lower. They were not expensive and if it doesn’t work I’ll just buy some more and shim the neck as a last resort.

Original string height at the 12th fret > 3mm!!

Name:	IMG_1972.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	26079

Saddles before. As can be seen the height adjustment screws are already way to high, so I have ordered some shorter ones. That should stop the bleeding lol.

Name:	IMG_1973.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	26080

Hand filing the saddles reduced the height at the expense of some very sore fingers.

Name:	IMG_1974.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	26081

Saddles after filing

Name:	IMG_1976.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	26082

String height at 12th fret now about 1.8mm

Name:	IMG_1975.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	26083

Today's job will be to cut the nut and replace left-handed pots.

Time to do the bone nut.

If you are only building one guitar (good luck with that plan!!) or you are smart, you should probably buy one of the Pitbull pre-cut nuts. But if you intend doing more that one guitar and are a bit of a masochist like me, you’ll have a go at doing your own.

At this stage it is important to point out that if you want a good result unfortunately you will probably need a set of fret files. It is possible to do it without the proper files, but not recommended.

A Google search will show up a hundred different ways of doing nuts, so mine is probably not the best, but it works for me.

First off measure the height of your frets. Easy…... straight edge across 2 frets, and a feeler gauge to measure.

Name:	IMG_1952.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	26167

Then, with the nut in place, mark the fret height on it. A feeler gauge can be easily coaxed to bend to the radius of the neck by applying a wee bit of pressure on either end of the gauge.

Name:	IMG_1953.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	26169

The nut with a pencil line showing the approx height of the frets.

Name:	IMG_1960.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	26170

String spacing. It is important to get this right. There are plenty of calculations on the net, or buy a string spacing gauge. I use a simple layout plan that I downloaded off the net when I did my first nut. It has compensated string spacing (to take account of the different string gauges) and I have never felt the need to use anything more sophisticated, or expensive.

Name:	IMG_1962.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	26171

Then into the hobby vice, out with files, sandpaper and nut files and file away until you are close to (but obviously not below) the line.

Name:	IMG_1969.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	26173

Then ………………………...

The final step is probably the most tedious. This is where the final adjustments are made. This is done with nut in place and the strings on the guitar.

I tend to “creep up” on the correct depth and this means stringing the guitar up to pitch, measure the height, release string tension, take string out of the nut, cut a bit deeper, put the string back into the nut, bring string tension back to pitch, re-check string height. Repeat, repeat and repeat for each string.

String action is a very personal thing, do you like high or low action? But nut height is not so arbitrary. If you get the nut height too low you’ll get fret buzz, or if you get it too high your guitar will never play in tune over the first 3 or 4 frets. So it is important to get this right. The good news is that it is fairly easy to set the nut height accurately.

The method I use takes all the guess work out of it.

With the strings tuned up to pitch fret a sting on the 3rd fret then measure the gap between the string and the 1st fret. You should aim for a gap of about the thickness of a piece of paper.

This shot was taken at the beginning of the process. You can see that the strings sit quite low in the nut. When finished all excess nut material above the string will be removed so that the strings are only half "buried" in the nut. I'll post a photo tomorrow when I have (hopefully) finished the nut.

Name:	IMG_1984.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	26174

Do that for all 6 strings and yer done.

Hoped this was of some help to somebody.

Cheers
    rob
    Last edited by robin; 26-04-2018 at 08:19 PM.

9. Liked by: Thunderbird

Certainly helpful for me, thanks.

You're welcome Drew. Don't take it all as gospel though and do some research. But I've fine tuned it to work for me.

rob

Started this build back in late January, but had a few hiccups along the way and some personal stuff, but she is finally finished. All up just over 100 hours build time. Which is pretty much on average for my semi-scratch builds.

I must admit that I am very happy how she turned out. Absolutely my favourite guitar, and if I hadn’t promised it to Bev it would be a keeper. But it will mean so much more to Bev so I will gladly hand it over. Hopefully she will like it.

All stock standard Pitbull parts with the addition of a neck pick-up ring and some brass compensated saddles.

If it was my guitar I would have upgraded most of the hardware, but as she will probably rarely be played I thought I would leave it stock for the time being. That being said I am really happy (and impressed) how good she sounds. I have no idea how anybody can intonate a standard 3 saddle Tele but with the addition of the compensated saddles she is near as perfect along the whole length of the fretboard.

If I get a chance I will do my usual lame attempt at a sound demo.

Well, they say that if there are no pictures is never happened, so here’s the pics.

Name:	IMG_2014.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	26316

Name:	IMG_2006.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	26317

Name:	IMG_2010.JPG