Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: A first kit for Christmas: JMA-1L

Quote Originally Posted by Volgar View Post
    Today I put lemon oil on the fretboard,
    Here’s a before / after

Does anyone have a cure for oil stains on the maple?
    That’s looking very nice now Maxence, great work!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

2. Liked by: Volgar

I would like to put two SSL-1 from Seymour Duncan on my guitar, but I don't know what Humbucker to put with, do you have an idea?
    "Isn't funk the most beautiful creation of man?"
    - Volgar, 2018
    __________________________________________________ __________
    #1st build - JMA-1L
    #2nd build will certainly be a custom kit close to the GR-1SFG

If you are buying Seymour Duncan, and you have already chosen vintage strat-style single coils, then I'd suggest something that's still vintage and clear sounding.

Measure your bridge string spacing to check, but you'd probably benefit from getting a Trembucker spaced pickup, and I'd suggest a '59 Trembucker as it's a thicker, sound than the single coils, but still has clots of clarity and won't give too big a jump in volume when selected.

You don't want anything too powerful as the drop in volume when you switch to vintage-style single coils will be considerable. A more powerful bridge pickup really requires hotter single coils.

Alternatively you could fit a humbucker-sized P90, so for Seymour Duncan that would be a Phat Cat. That would keep things cleaner still, but still have enough power if you wanted some drive tones. A P90 is a better general lead pickup than a Strat bridge pickup in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    If you are buying Seymour Duncan, and you have already chosen vintage strat-style single coils, then I'd suggest something that's still vintage and clear sounding.

Measure your bridge string spacing to check, but you'd probably benefit from getting a Trembucker spaced pickup, and I'd suggest a '59 Trembucker as it's a thicker, sound than the single coils, but still has clots of clarity and won't give too big a jump in volume when selected.

You don't want anything too powerful as the drop in volume when you switch to vintage-style single coils will be considerable. A more powerful bridge pickup really requires hotter single coils.

Alternatively you could fit a humbucker-sized P90, so for Seymour Duncan that would be a Phat Cat. That would keep things cleaner still, but still have enough power if you wanted some drive tones. A P90 is a better general lead pickup than a Strat bridge pickup in my opinion.
    I didn't know this Trembucker!
    I(ll surely go on that!
    - Volgar, 2018
    #1st build - JMA-1L

I also have a question:
    I will start to install the tremolo, but, watching the video (for stratocaster), I see that the holes are already drilled while it is not the case for mine: /

Do you know if this is normal and how should I do it?
    Thank you
    Last edited by Volgar; 24-01-2018 at 11:36 PM. Reason: adding photo
    - Volgar, 2018
    #1st build - JMA-1L

Hi Maxence, I can see the holes in the plate in you picture, do you mean there are no holes through the trem block? If this is the case then you should email Adam at PBG as that would mean the trem has a defect. You should be able to feed a string in through the bottom of the block and out through the string saddle, if not, it’s never going to work!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Hi Maxence, I can see the holes in the plate in you picture, do you mean there are no holes through the trem block? If this is the case then you should email Adam at PBG as that would mean the trem has a defect. You should be able to feed a string in through the bottom of the block and out through the string saddle, if not, it’s never going to work!
    I actually got this :

And I don’t know how to put it on thé body, I don’t know if there is error ^^

Unscrew the posts from the inserts. The inserts need to be pushed into the holes - using a clamp and squeezing them in is better than tapping them in with a hammer. If you have to use a hammer, use a wooden block on top of the bushing and use a lot of small taps, not a few big ones. The bushings are the correct way up in the picture above. Push them all the way in until the tops of the bushings are level with the body.

When you are ready to fit the bridge, screw the height adjustment posts in a small amount. You'll need to screw the trem claw to the front of the tremolo spring rout on the bottom of the guitar. I don't know if you can fit the bridge with the posts fully screwed in. If you can, then just slot the trem block into the slot in the body and the front of the bridge onto the two posts, then screw the bridge height posts in further.

You can then turn the guitar over, holding onto the bridge so it doesn't fall out, and then fit the tremolo springs from the claw to the end of the trem block.

If the rest of the guitar is ready, you can then string it up.

If you haven't set one up before, there are lots of videos how to set up a Strat-style trem on YouTube. You should be able to find some in French which will make it easier for you to understand. It's not hard, but just takes a little patience and time a sther's a lot of spring tension adjustment and re-tuning involved.

You may have to lower the

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Unscrew the posts from the inserts. The inserts need to be pushed into the holes - using a clamp and squeezing them in is better than tapping them in with a hammer. If you have to use a hammer, use a wooden block on top of the bushing and use a lot of small taps, not a few big ones. The bushings are the correct way up in the picture above. Push them all the way in until the tops of the bushings are level with the body.

When you are ready to fit the bridge, screw the height adjustment posts in a small amount. You'll need to screw the trem claw to the front of the tremolo spring rout on the bottom of the guitar. I don't know if you can fit the bridge with the posts fully screwed in. If you can, then just slot the trem block into the slot in the body and the front of the bridge onto the two posts, then screw the bridge height posts in further.

You can then turn the guitar over, holding onto the bridge so it doesn't fall out, and then fit the tremolo springs from the claw to the end of the trem block.

If the rest of the guitar is ready, you can then string it up.

If you haven't set one up before, there are lots of videos how to set up a Strat-style trem on YouTube. You should be able to find some in French which will make it easier for you to understand. It's not hard, but just takes a little patience and time a sther's a lot of spring tension adjustment and re-tuning involved.

You may have to lower the
    Ok, I need to put the finest on the front or the back?

For the moment, I only can put the finest part in the hole
    Last edited by Volgar; 25-01-2018 at 03:08 AM.
    - Volgar, 2018
    #1st build - JMA-1L

I start to put them, I was forced to use a hammer and a block of wood, the holes can barely pass the thin part ! :/

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast