Page 1 of 147 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: DrNomis_44's Gold Standard STA-1M Build.

DrNomis_44's Gold Standard STA-1M Build.

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would start this build diary in anticipation of my first ever PBG kit which I'll be ordering next Tuesday, I've chosen the PBG STA-1M kit for my first kit build, firstly because I used to own a 2010 Fender Mexican Strat that I traded for a Chibson Angus SG, so I thought it would be cool to build a replacement Strat rather than shell out another $999.00 to buy a new one, secondly it looks like an easy enough kit to build, the actual wiring will be fairly easy for me to do.

Okay so here's what I've got planned for this build:

* Upgrade the Chrome hardware to gold.

* Upgrade the scratchplate to white pearloid.

* Upgrade the stock pickups to a set of Entwistle XS62N's.

* Upgrade the stock nut to a pre-shaped and cut Bone nut.

* PBG sticker for the headstock, or get Andyport to make a custom decal.

* Upgrade the Gold tuners to a set of Gold 6-in-line Grover Mini locking Rotomatics.

* At a later stage upgrade the Gold Bridge to a Gold Babicz Bridge.

* Buy a set of Ernie Ball Strap locks for the guitar and install them.

Finish:

I had initially planned on spray-painting the body metallic red, but after seeing one of wokka's gold finish builds I remembered seeing some cans of metallic-gold paint in my local green shed (Bunnings), yeah I know....automatic sentence to the naughty warehouse, it's okay I'll take my punishment like a man....lol.

The cans of Gold paint I saw had tops on them with a really shiny gold colour with a metallic lusture, I was originally going to buy a can for one of my many pedal builds but thought that the colour would look cool on the guitar.

The body will be clear-coated after the paint has fully dried.

The neck is going to be clear-coated with the front of the headstock spray-painted metallic gold, I'm just wondering how I should finish the fretboard.

I decided to call my STA-1M the Gold-Standard Strat, it's Gold Coloured, and a standard Stratocaster, hence the name.

Rather than wire up the pickups and controls as a typical Strat, I thought I would wire it up the way Eric Johnson wires his Strats up since it actually makes alot more sense to me, and he happens to be one of my favorite guitarists because of the tones he gets.

Here's how a Standard Strat is wired:

Master Volume.

Pickup Selector Switch:

1, Neck Single-Coil + Tone 1.

2, Neck Single-Coil + Tone 1 + Middle Single-Coil + Tone 2.

3, Middle Single-Coil + Tone 2.

4, Middle Single-Coil + Bridge Single-Coil + Tone 2.

5, Bridge Single-Coil.

This is how Eric Johnson wires his Strats:

Master Volume.

Pickup Selector:

1, Neck Single-Coil + Tone 1.

2, Neck Single-Coil + Middle Single-Coil + Tone 1.

3, Middle Single-Coil.

4, Middle Single-Coil + Bridge Single-Coil + Tone 2.

5, Bridge Single-Coil + Tone 2.

He also changes the stock Strat tone-cap to a 100nF cap.

I've previously tried the Eric Johnson Strat-wiring schematic on my Mexican Strat and I really liked how the guitar seemed to sound better to my ears, so I thought I would do the same for this kit build.

I almost forgot to add that I'll also be going with the traditional Strat headstock shape for this build, I happen to have a spare Mighty Mite Strat neck that i can use to make a template from.

For those of you who don't know, Eric Johnson is a well-known American Guitarist who lives in Austin Texas, well-known for his instrumental tune, the Grammy-winning Cliffs Of Dover.

http://www.ericjohnson.com/

Stay tuned for more updates to follow.

By the way, all comments, suggestions, etc are totally welcome.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 09-02-2016 at 01:37 PM.

Hi Doc, good to see you diving in and having a go with a PBG kit. I am sure you will get so much pleasure from bringing this kit to life.

Gold strat sounds good, yes the Johnson wiring makes sense, with front two on tone one and back two on tone two.
    Enjoy the build

Quote Originally Posted by wazkelly View Post
    Hi Doc, good to see you diving in and having a go with a PBG kit. I am sure you will get so much pleasure from bringing this kit to life.

Yeah, it's about time I did...lol...., thanks for the encouragement too, cheers.

I'll be sure to include lots of pics in this build diary, hopefully I'll be able to buy myself a replacement for my Canon A480 Digital Camera soon, I'd use it but it's a bit sick and chews through batteries like they're going out of fashion.

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Sounds like a good plan Doc. Looking forward to seeing this build come together. I'm now curious about the Eric Johnson wiring, time for some googling..

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdosborne View Post
    Sounds like a good plan Doc. Looking forward to seeing this build come together. I'm now curious about the Eric Johnson wiring, time for some googling..

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Definitely check it out, you should be able to download a pdf from the Fender website which has info about setting up and maintaining Fender instruments, it also includes some wiring diagrams for signature guitars played by well known guitarists, including Eric Johnson.

It's good to see you have a solid plan for your build, Doc! Should look great when you're done.
    1st build - Blue ES-12G ->-Build Diary-<-

2nd build - Father/Son collaboration MB-1 ->-Build Diary-<-

3rd build - GR-SF1 ->-Build Diary-<-

4th build - FS-1 ->-Build Diary-<-

Man I'm surprised this is your first build. Feels like you've been around forever. Sounds cool mate always love a good strat.

9. Liked by: wazkelly

Cheers Swanny, I'm hoping it'll turn out well since it'll also be my very first attempt at building a guitar in all the years I have been playing guitar, I started playing guitar in my early 20's.

@ Nickosaurus, Cheers for the encouragement mate.

Great stuff Doc.
    Why not put your own, personalised decal on the headstock though?

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Page 1 of 147 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast