Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: ST1-JR - Arachnoid superhero themed build

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    Just caught up with this thread JohnH, I am just now doing the same thing with my 5 year old. By the time we get around to finishing it I'm sure he'll turn 6.....
    Its an awesome kit. He's changed his mind regarding the colour a million times.
    Oh, great! What is his current colour of choice? My little man told me the other day that actually he needs four guitars (each a different colour), and an amp ‘so loud it makes Mum spill her coffee’. Then he asked if I could also build him a spider man effects pedal (and I’m pretty certain he legit has no idea what they do)
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

ha ha. amp goals! dunno what the current colour is, theres been, black, red green, silver, gold. I almost got him to agree to a jimi monterey strat
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Here is a shot of the kit, including a shot next to my other strat copies for scale. It's so cute!

#002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

G'day John. Looks good. Would be a good candidate for a 'travel' guitar.

cheers, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    G'day John. Looks good. Would be a good candidate for a 'travel' guitar.

cheers, Mark.
    Yeah, for sure. I'm pretty tempted to get one for myself for exactly that reason lol
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

My poor little dude has been very patiently waiting for me to finish up with my exhibition commitments so we can tackle the kit, so we're only finally getting around to it now. In the meantime he's decided he wants a Darth Vader themed guitar (he is obsessed), but the plan is still to collage graphics from magazines or books.

When Spiderman had been the plan I was thinking of leaving the maple neck and collaging the whole body and the headstock, but I feel like Vader probably needs a black neck too. Trying not to make this one too complex though, so I'm a bit torn. I figure it's better that he has a tonne of fun and has something to noodle around on as soon as possible, rather than waiting for me to bugger around staining wood etc...

Anyway, will hit up the shops during the week to find some suitable graphics, and will update as we go.
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Now: THE VADERCASTER

Getting some work done on this (finally). After a lot of toing and froing and endless discussions about decorative possibilities the main man has decided on a black body, with a Vader/Star Wars themed pickguard and headstock.

I used some adhesive sheets and the big colour printer at work to make the pickguard cover. I ripped the image from a PC wallpaper site, which I feel uncomfortable about, but as he's only five and it's for him to noodle around on at home I figure it's probably ok.

I'll put a couple of coats of clear acrylic over the top for protection while he's at school tomorrow, and hopefully that will hold up. The adhesive sheets are just regular office style sticker sheets basically, but we use them a lot at work and they seem to stay pretty well even after many years. In fact, they usually get harder to get off rather than easier, so I'm hoping I will at least stay put for a few years

#002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

8. Liked by: kuanjb

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    As long as you aren't trying to profit off it or being malicious/affecting the brand, it is fair use and not a problem at all. If it were a smaller creator it would be polite to ask, but this is such a universally known pop icon, it's well within the realm of fan creation fun.

George Lucas is famously open about letting people play with the Star Wars properties. He even voiced himself in the Robot Chicken spoofs (which are hilarious if you haven't seen them). Disney probably takes a different view, but the fans are the reason the franchise exists so it's not in their interest to discourage this kind of thing.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Starting to really come together now. Spent my day off last week spraying the clear coats on the pickguard, finishing the neck and headstock, and sanding and staining the body.

I only have this progress shot of the headstock, but will take some more pics once the body has a few more coats of oil.

#002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    As long as you aren't trying to profit off it or being malicious/affecting the brand, it is fair use and not a problem at all. If it were a smaller creator it would be polite to ask, but this is such a universally known pop icon, it's well within the realm of fan creation fun.

George Lucas is famously open about letting people play with the Star Wars properties. He even voiced himself in the Robot Chicken spoofs (which are hilarious if you haven't seen them). Disney probably takes a different view, but the fans are the reason the franchise exists so it's not in their interest to discourage this kind of thing.
    Yeah, that's what I figured. Can't help but feel more comfortable when I'm the original content creator, but my skills weren't up to this one lol
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast