Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fender Super Twin.

Yeah, The whole Flubby thing doesn't suit most situations...

I've always just been a fan of JBL speakers in general, particularly in the control room situation as I know what I can expect out of them .... Not everyone's cup of tea, but it is why I own two sets of JBL Control 1 monitors.
    On a guitar I lean strongly toward the usual crowd of Celestions, and with bass I have a huge preference for the economically priced 350W Eminence Delta 10A's...

Quote Originally Posted by stuzl873213 View Post
    Are the valves readily available?

Yep, 6L6 GCs are still available, as well as the 7025/12AX7WA, 12AX7, 12AT7, and 12AU7, I wonder if a set of 6L6STRs would work in a Fender Super Twin too, I think they may have good enough ratings for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    Yep, 6L6 GCs are still available, as well as the 7025/12AX7WA, 12AX7, 12AT7, and 12AU7, I wonder if a set of 6L6STRs would work in a Fender Super Twin too, I think they may have good enough ratings for the job.
    Plenty of Fender amps came stock fitted with 6L6's, so most varieties should work well. You won't know for sure unless you give them a try...

Here's a closeup shot of one of the 6L6 power tubes from my Fender Super Twin amp, from what I can make out by looking at it through a magnifying glass, it says "STR415 Mesa Engineering" on the glass envelope:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STR415_resized.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	24305

What does seem a little strange is that the glass envelope seems to be a bit shorter than most of the 6L6 tubes I've seen on the internet.

Here's a closeup shot of the Fender Super Twin's back panel where the speaker out socket is located:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Super Twin Speaker Out_resized.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	243.4 KB 
ID:	24306

That socket labeled "Line/Recording" is going to be useful since I can connect a D.I. box up to it and send a signal out to a P.A. mixing desk in a live band scenario.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 20-01-2018 at 04:28 PM.

For their plate dissipation 6L6's are quite a short tube, and EL34's are quite long.

I've never had much faith in the "line/recording" socket on most amps. Mostly as so much depends on the volume level that is being used on the amp at the time you want to pull a signal from that socket. If the guitarist cranks the amp you get heaps of level, maybe too much, and if the guitarist winds things back then the console operator is hunting for gain on their desk due to the piddly tiny signal from the socket all while screaming out for their SM57. They can work but success can be hit or miss...

Also there's no speaker emulation, so unless you keep things clean (and use a fair bit of EQ on the desk), any overdrive or distortion is going to sound very fizzy indeed, as you don't have the natural low-pass filtering effect of the speakers

It's probably best used for feeding another amp for more volume that has series effect send and return sockets and plugging it into the return, so it can drive the 2nd amp's power section directly.

The STR 415 might be a badged Phillips valve (or a copy of), in which case it's specified like a 7581a (35 watts), as opposed to the 6L6 (30W rated) STR-387 also used by Mesa.

Maybe I can do some mods to the recording line out socket to make it more useable in a live situation....hmmmmm....food for thought, I have a feeling that this thread is going to be another epic one like the one for the Gold Strat.

You'll probably do better by simply buying a speaker emulator pedal. As well as a low pass filter to emulate the natural HF roll-off of a 12" speaker, you'd also need to try and emulate the EQ effect of the speaker's frequency dependent impedance curve (which is itself modified by the type of enclosure it's in). The trouble is that a guitar speaker normally has a very steep roll-off typically somewhere between 5kHz -6kHz, but drops by around 20dB and then levels off again (normally just radiations from the centre dome). So a LP filter alone removes too much high-end for realism, so you also need an attenuated (around -20dB) filter bypass path to mix some of that high frequency signal back in again.

There are plenty of calculators available via Google to work out what you need to make a passive filter to emulate a speaker....

One I thought might be worth a try is at http://www.calculatoredge.com/electr...low%20pass.htm

Put in the impedance and number of stages and the calculator does the rest..... 600 ohm for line level or 8 ohm for speaker level, and more stages gives a steeper slope. May not be ideal, plenty to experiment with and worth a try...

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    Update:

Was doing some internet browsing and found this web page, the Fender Super Twin amp you see in the pic is same like the one I have, so if it makes a great bass amp then I'm keeping it for sure, it was a keeper for me anyway though:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/fen...s-head.452093/

I haven't posted here in a while but came around as I am getting back to finishing my kit bass.

If you look further down in that thread I have a post in 2008.

It is a superb bass amp. Mine needs some repair at the moment (fuzziness in the preamp somewhere). Do not touch the distortion control as it sounds awful.

It needs no modding aside from turning it into a head for use with bass.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast