Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 27" Baritone JZA-1

Finish wise I'm pretty sure I'm going to try out shou sugi ban. I don't really have any other kits lined up which I could do that finish on so looks like this is the one. I've already bought a butane torch / burner.

Now the remaining questions are whether to do just a natural colour or stain; whether to finish with gloss or satin; and whether to also burn the neck.

At the moment I'm thinking probably natural but I do like the look of the red stain with the black. Guess I could do a burst with the red. I'm also leaning towards a satin finish. Will depend on how it looks when I burn it. I like darker necks so might burn that too.

Then I'll top it off with a black pickguard.

https://cdn.instructables.com/FHJ/CZ...PO80.LARGE.jpg
    Last edited by kuanjb; 16-11-2018 at 01:19 PM.

that does look mighty good, I guess it will depend on how much timber is showing around the pick guard as to whether it would suit.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Quote Originally Posted by Dedman View Post
    that does look mighty good, I guess it will depend on how much timber is showing around the pick guard as to whether it would suit.
    Yeah. There'll be more than a normal JM since I'm looking at a shape similar to the Ventures JM pickguard. The grain is quite different so won't look the same obviously. I think I might do some mock ups on the computer.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Fiddled around on the computer just to see if I could get an idea what sort of finish I might be able to achieve with the grain in the guitar. I like the red.
    Of course I have no idea how it will turn out until I do it. The pickguard that came with the kit is also cut a bit smaller than normal Jazzmasters. It doesn't go under the bridge. Could do the same to show off more of the wood.
    Last edited by kuanjb; 17-11-2018 at 06:45 PM.

So an interesting thing I found while playing around on the computer is that the kit's body is significantly shorter than a real Fender JM. About 3cm shorter and the route for the tremolo unit then 2cm further forward.

Considering the weight of the body it's probably not a bad thing but it will affect where the tremolo arm sits and perhaps the angle of the strings over the bridge. I'll need to route out the tremolo cavity a bit more to accommodate the Fender tremolo unit I have too which will bring it a bit further back and closer to the edge.

With the shorter body I can see why the stock pickguard doesn't go around the bridge as it would bring the pickguard quite close to the tremolo.

I printed out various Fender pickguard templates and using them as the basis mocked up a custom pickguard. Want the three control knobs plus plug down the bottom and more of the top wood showing. It's not quite right yet but I think looks pretty good for a start.

While doing this I also found that the swimming pool pickup route isn't wide enough for the Jazzmaster pickups. So I'll need to route out the top edge slightly. I'll also route out semi-circles at the front and back to accommodate the mounting / screw tabs on the JM pickup covers. The alternative would be to move the pickups closer together but I'd rather the larger tonal variation.

Last edited by kuanjb; 21-11-2018 at 10:32 PM.

yup the Bass6 body was more like a P bass size . I'd be tempted to leave a bit more material on the extension that holds your switches and jack, you don't want an accidental yanking on the cable busting the guard.

Bass6 and Jazzmaster
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b6-jazz2.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	226.1 KB 
ID:	29090
    Bass 6 and P bass

Name:	b6-jazz.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	226.2 KB 
ID:	29091
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

8. Liked by: kuanjb

Quote Originally Posted by Dedman View Post
    yup the Bass6 body was more like a P bass size . I'd be tempted to leave a bit more material on the extension that holds your switches and jack, you don't want an accidental yanking on the cable busting the guard.

Bass6 and Jazzmaster

Name:	b6-jazz2.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	226.1 KB 
ID:	29090
    Bass 6 and P bass

Name:	b6-jazz.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	226.2 KB 
ID:	29091
    Yeah the body definately is a bit more Bass VI shaped. I used templates for P Bass, J Bass, Strat, JM and the supplied pickguard to get the various parts.

I tried to get a bit more room on the extension but I also have to deal with the existing control routing in the body. Extending it changed the curves and either made it look really long and thin or if I went wider then the controls looked odd as they wouldn't be in the middle. So this design is basically doing a sort of 'S' shape for the controls following the shape of the guitar and using the existing control locations with a single extension route for the plug.

There is a bit more room where I can go a bit closer to the edge of the guitar to keep it more consistent with the rest of the lower edge though so might be able to lengthen and thicken it a bit without to much extra routing. I might even be able to do a Jazz Bass style metal control plate which is a bit thinker and sturdier and would separate the controls from the rest of the guard but to do that I think I'd need a lot more routing to move the controls. Might not cover the existing holes though or might leave nowhere to do the screws.

Anyway, I think I'm going to have to do some work on the computer and have a play around rather than doing it all by hand with pencil and paper. Easier to add the pickups etc too to get a better sense of what it'll all look like.

I'll post some more designs as I finish them.

Parts from Guitar Fetish arrived today. JM90 vintage wound pickups, staggered locking tuners and vintage style control knobs. I ordered when they had their 20% off moving sale which was pretty good timing.
    Last edited by kuanjb; 23-11-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Did you have to wait long? I saw some people had difficulty getting their parts
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB